Sura 2: Al-Baqara (The Cow)
1. They shall dwell in gardens watered by running streams: whenever they are given fruit to eat they will say: “This is what we used to eat before,’ for they shall be given the like. Wedded to chaste virgins, they shall abide in there for ever. Verse 25.
2. Do you (Muslims) then hope that they (The Jews) will believe in you, when some of them have already heard the Word of Allah and knowingly perverted it, although they understood its meaning? Verse 75
3. Woe to those that write the Scriptures with their own hands and then declare: “This is from Allah,’ in order to gain some paltry end. Verse 79.
4. When We made a covenant with the Israelites We said: “Serve none but Allah. Show kindness to your parents, to your kinfolk, to the orphans, and to the destitute. Exhort men to righteousness. Attend to your prayers and pay the alms-tax”. But you broke your covenant except a few, and gave no heed. Verses 84-85.
5. And now that a Book confirming their own has come to them from Allah, they deny it, although they know it to be the truth and have long prayed for help against the unbelievers. May Allah’s curse be upon the infidels. Verse 89.
6. But they will never long for death, because of what they did: for Allah knows the evil-doers. Indeed, you will find that they love this life more than other men: more than the pagans do. Each of them would willingly live a thousand years. Verses 95 and 96. This and point 5 are referring to the Jews.
7. Do you claim that Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the tribes, were all Jews or Christians? Do you know better than Allah himself? Verse 140.
8. The righteous man is he who believes in Allah and the Last Day, in the angels and the Scriptures and the prophets; who for the love of Allah gives his wealth to his kinfolk, to the orphans, to the needy, to the wayfarers and to the beggars and for the redemption of captives; who attends to his prayers and pays the alms-tax; who is true to his promises and steadfast in trial and adversity and in times of war. Such are the true believers; such are the God-fearing. Verse 177.
9. Fight for the sake of Allah those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. Allah does not love the aggressors. Verse 190.
10. Kill them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. But do not fight them within the precincts of the Holy Mosque unless they attack you there; if they attack you put them to sword. Thus shall the unbelievers be rewarded: but if they mend their ways, know that Allah is forgiving and merciful. Verse 191-92.
11. Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah’s religion reigns supreme. But if they mend their ways, fight none except the evil-doers. Verse 193.
12. Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. But you may hate a thing although it is good for you, and love a thing although it is bad for you. Allah knows, but you do not. Verse 216.
13. Women are your fields: go, then into your fields as you please. Verse 223.
14. Fight for the cause of Allah and bear in mind that He hears all and knows all. Verse 224.
Sura 3: Al-Imran (The Imrans)
15. Let believers not make friends with infidels in preference to the faithful-he that does this has nothing to hope for from Allah-except in self-defence. Verse 28.
16. Had the People of the Book accepted Islam, it would have surely been better for them. Few of them are true believers, and most of them are evil-doers. Verse 110.
17. Believers, do not make friends with any men other than your own people. They will spare no pains to corrupt you. They desire nothing but your ruin. Their hatred is clear from what they say, but more violent is the hatred which their breasts conceal.
We have made plain to you Our revelations. Strive to understand them.
See how you love them and they do not love you. You believe in the entire Scriptures.
When they meet you the say: “We, too, are believers.” But when alone, they bite their finger-tips with rage. Say:” May you perish in you rage! Allah has knowledge of your inmost thoughts.”
When are blessed with good fortune they grieve: but when evil befalls you they rejoice. If you persevere and guard yourselves against evil their machinations will never harm you. From after Verses 118 to 120.
18. Obey Allah and the Apostle that you may find mercy. Verse 132.
19. Believers, if you yield to the infidels they will drag you back to unbelief and you will return headlong to perdition. Verse 149.
20. Allah loves those that trust him. Verse 159. This is the only time I found a quote expressing Allah’s love for his people. I will continue to search for others.
Sura 4: Al-Nisa’ (Women)
21. If any of your women commit fornication, call in four witnesses from among yourselves against them; if they testify to their guilt confine them to their houses till death overtakes them our till Allah finds another way for them. If two men among you commit indecency punish them both. If they repent and mend their ways, let them be, Allah is forgiving and merciful. Verse 15.
22. You are also forbidden to take in marriage married women, except captives whom you own as slaves. Verse 24.
23. Men have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the others, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because Allah has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Verse 34.
24. Let those who would exchange the life of this world for the hereafter, fight for the cause of Allah; whether they die or conquer, We shall richly reward them. Verse 74.
25. True believers fight for the cause of Allah, but the infidels fight for idols. Fight then against the friends of Satan, Satan’s cunning is weak indeed. Verse 76.
26. He that obeys the Apostle obeys Allah himself. Verse 80.
27. Therefore fight for the cause of Allah. Verse 84.
28. Why are you thus divided concerning the hypocrites……Do not befriend them until they have fled their homes for the cause of Allah. If they desert you, seize them and put them to death wherever you find them. Look for neither friends nor helper among them except those who seek refuge with your allies…… Verses 88 and 89.
29. Allah has given those that fight with their goods and their persons a higher rank than those who stay at home…..but far richer is the recompense of those who fight for Him. Verses 95 and 96.
30. He that leaves his dwelling to fight for Allah and His apostle and is then overtaken by death, shall be rewarded by Allah. Verse 100.
31. The unbelievers are your sworn enemies. Line before Verse 101.
32. Seek out your enemies relentlessly, Verse 104.
33. Give warning to the hypocrites of a stern chastisement: those who choose the unbelievers rather than the faithful for their friends. Verse 138.
34. Believers, do not choose the infidels rather than the faithful for your friends. Would you give Allah a clear proof against yourselves? Verse before 144.
35. Allah does not love harsh words, … Verse 148. One of the few times the word love is used in the Koran and in this case it is used in the negative sense.
36. Because of their iniquity, We forbade the Jews good things which were formerly allowed them;…….Verse 160.
37. The Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary, was no more than Allah’s apostle and His Word which He cast to Mary: a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His apostles and do not say: “Three”. Forbear, and it shall be better for you. Allah is but one God. Allah forbid that He should have a son! Verse171.
Sura 5: Al-Ma’ida (The Table)
38. With those who said they were Christians We made a covenant also, but they too have forgotten much of what they were enjoined. Therefore we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. Verse 14.
39. Unbelievers are those who declare: “Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary.” Verse 17.
40. Those that make war against Allah and His apostle and spread disorders in the land shall be put to death or crucified or have their hands and feet cut off on alternate sides, or be banished from the country. Verse 33.
41. As for a man or woman who is guilty of theft, cut off their hands to punish them for their crimes. Verse 38.
42. Evil-doers are those that do not base their judgements on Allah’s revelations. Verse before 47.
43. Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become one of their number. Allah does not guide the wrongdoers. Verse 51.
44. Believers, do not seek the friendship of the infidels and those who were given the Book before you, who have made of your religion a jest and a pastime. Verse 57.
45. Unbelievers are those that say: “Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary.” Verse 72.
46. Unbelievers are those who say: “Allah is one of three.” Verse 73.
47. The Messiah, the son of Mary, was no more than an apostle: other apostles passed away before him. Verse 75.
48. You will find that the most implacable of men in their enmity to the faithful are the Jews and the pagans, and that the nearest in affection to them are those who say: “We are Christians.” Verse 82.
Sura 7: Al-A’raf (The Heights)
49. The gates of heaven shall not be opened for those that have denied and scorned Our revelations; nor shall they enter the gates of Paradise until a camel shall pass through the eye of a needle. Verse 40.
Sura 8: Al-Anfal (The Spoils)
50. He (Allah) sought to fulfil His promise and to annihilate the unbelievers, so that Truth should triumph and falsehood be discomfited, though the wrongdoers wished otherwise. Verse 7.
51. Allah revealed His will to the angels, saying: “I shall be with you. Give courage to the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, maim them in every limb.” Verse 12.
52. He that defies Allah and His apostle shall be sternly punished. Verse 13.
53. Believers, when you encounter the armies of the infidels do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasons, or to join another band, he shall incur the wrath of Allah and Hell shall be his home: an evil fate. Verses 15 and 16.
54. It was not you, but Allah, who slew them. It was not you who smote them: Allah smote them so that HE might richly reward the faithful. Verse 17.
55. Believers obey Allah and His apostle……Verse 20.
56. Believers, obey Allah and the Apostle…..Verse 24.
57. Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah’s religion reigns supreme. If they desist Allah is cognizant of all their actions; but if they give no heed, know then that Allah will protect you. Verse 39. This appears to be a command to wage perpetual war until Islam reigns supreme.
58. Believers, when you meet their army stand firm and pray fervently to Allah, so that you may triumph. Verse 45
59. Let the unbelievers not think that they will escape Us. They have not the power to do so. Muster against them all the men and cavalry at your disposal, so that you may strike terror into the enemies of Allah and the faithful, and others besides them. Verse 60. .
Sura 9: Al-Tawba ( Repentance)
60. When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Verse 5.
61. Make war on them: Allah will chastise them through you and humble them. Verse 14.
62. None should visit the mosques of Allah except those who believe in Allah and the Last Day, attend to their prayers and pay the alms-tax and fear none but Allah. Verse 18.
63. Do you pretend that he who gives a drink to the pilgrims and pays a visit to the Sacred Mosque is as worth as the man who believes in Allah and the Last Day and fight for Allah’s cause? Verse 19.
64. Those that have embraced the faith and fled their homes and fought for Allah’s cause with their wealth and their persons are held in higher regard by Allah. Verse 20.
65. Believers, do not befriend you fathers or your brothers if they choose unbelief in preference to faith. Wrongdoers are those that befriend them. Verse 23.
66. Say: “If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your tribes, the property you have acquired, they merchandise you fear many not be sold, and the homes you love, are dearer to you than to Allah, His apostle and His cause, then wait until Allah shall fulfil His decree. Allah does not guide the evil-doers.” Verse 24. This is one of the less than ten times I saw the word love in the Koran and it is used in a negative sense.
67. Believers, know that the idolaters are unclean. Let them not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year is ended. Verse somewhat after verse 26.
68. Fight against such of those to whom the Scriptures were given as believe neither in Allah or the Last Day, who do not forbid what Allah and His apostle have forbidden, and do not embrace the true faith, until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued. Verse 29.
69. The Jews say Ezra is the son of Allah, while the Christians say the Messiah is the son of Allah. Such are their assertions, by which they imitate the infidels of old. Allah confound them! How perverse they are. Verse 30.
70. They worship their rabbis and their monks, and the Messiah the son of Mary, as gods besides Allah; thought they were ordered to serve one God only. Verse 31.
71. But you may fight against the idolaters in all these months since they themselves fight against you in all of them. Verse 36.
72. Believers, why is it that when it is said to you: “March in the cause of Allah,” you linger slothfully in the land? Verse 38.
73. If you do not fight He will punish you sternly and replace you by other men. Verse 39.
74. Whether unarmed or well-equipped, march on and fight for the cause of Allah, with your wealth and your persons. This will be best for you, if you but know. Verse 41.
75. Those that believe in Allah and the Last Day will not beg you to exempt them from fighting with their wealth and their persons. Verse 44.
76. Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate. Verse 73.
77. The real offenders are those that seek exemption (from fighting) although they are men of wealth. Verse 93.
78. Allah has purchased of the faithful their lives and worldly goods and in return has promised them the Garden. They will fight for His cause, slay, and be slain. Such is the true pledge which He has made them in the Torah, the Gospel and the Koran…… Rejoice in the bargain in the bargain you have made. Verse 111.
79. It is not right that all the faithful should go to war at once. A band from each community should stay behind to instruct themselves in religion and admonish their men when they return, so that they may take heed. Verse 122.
80. Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal courteously with them. Verse 123.
I believe one should read all of Suras 8 and 9 to get a better feel for the question of fighting for Islam, It is no coincidence that in Islamic jurisprudence, the world is divided into the House of Islam, where Islam rules, and the House of War, where Islam does not rule.
Sura 10: Yunis (Jonah)
81. Allah invites you into the Home of Peace. Verse 25. Here is an explicit mention of Islam as the “Home of Peace.”
82. None can have faith except by the will of Allah. He will visit His scourge upon the senseless. Verse 100.
Sura 13; Al-Ra’d (Thunder)
83. As for those who break Allah’s covenant after accepting it, who part what He has bidden to be united and commit evil in the land, a curse shall be laid on them, and they shall have an evil end. Verse 25.
Sura 16: Al-Nahl (The Bee)
84. When We change one verse for another (Allah knows best what He reveals), they say:” You (Mohammed) are an impostor.” Indeed most of them are ignorant men. Say: “ The Holy Spirit brought it down from your Lord in truth to reassure the faithful,…. Verse 101.
Sura 19: Maryam (Mary)
85. Those who say: “The Lord of Mercy has begotten a son,” preach a monstrous falsehood, at which the very heavens might crack,…. Verse 88. It has been suggested by some that Islam developed from the Arian heresy of the early Church.
Sura 22: Al-Hajj (Pilgrimage)
86. Fight for the cause of Allah with the devotions due to Him. Verse 78.
Sura 23: Al-Mu’minum (The Believers)
87. Blessed are the believers, who are humble in their prayer; who avoid profane talk, and give alms to the destitute; who restrain their carnal desires (except with their wives and slave-girls, for these are lawful to them) and do not transgress through lusting after other women; who are true to their trusts and promises and never neglect their prayers. Verse 1.
Sura 24: Al-Nur (Light)
88. The adulterer and the adulteress shall each be given a hundred lashes. ……let their punishment be witnessed by a number of believers. Verse 2. I have not seen any command to stone adulterers and adulteresses to death.
89. Enjoin believing women to turn their eyes away from temptation and to preserve their chastity; to cover their adornments (except such as are normally displayed); to draw their veils over their bosoms and not to reveal their finery except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their sisters’ sons, their women-servants, and their slave-girls; male attendants lacking natural vigour, and children who have no carnal knowledge of women. Verse 31
90. You shall not force your slave-girls into prostitution in order that you may make money, if they wish to preserve their chastity. Verse 33.
Sura 28: Al-Qasas (The Story)
91. You never hoped that this Book would be revealed to you. Yet through your Lord’s mercy you have received it. Therefore give no help to the unbelievers. Verse 86.
Sura 29: Al-‘Ankabut (the Spider)
92. He that fights for Allah’s cause fights for himself. Verse 6.
Sura 33: Al-Ahzab (The Confederate Tribes)
93. He brought down from their strongholds those who had supported them from among the People of the Book (the Jews of Beni Qurayza) and cast terror into their hearts, so that some you slew and others you took captive. He made you masters of their land, their houses, and their goods, and of yet another land on which you had never set foot before. Verse 26.
94. Mohammed is the father of no man among you. He is the apostle of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets. Verse 40.
95. Prophet, We have made lawful to you the wives to whom you have granted dowries and the slave-girls whom Allah has given you as booty; the daughters of your paternal and maternal uncles and of your paternal and maternal aunts who fled with you; and the other women who gave themselves to you and whom you wished to take in marriage. This privilege is your alone, being granted to no other believer. Verse 50. At this time Mohammed had nine wives, apart from slave-girls.
96. You may put off any of your wives you please and take to your bed any of them you please. Nor is it unlawful for you to receive any of those whom have temporarily set aside. That is more proper, so that they may be contented and not vexed and may all be pleased with what you give them. Verse 51.
97. It shall be unlawful for you to take more wives or to take more wives or to change your present wives for other women, though their beauty please you, except where slave-girls are concerned. Verse 52.
Sura 37: Al-Saffat (The Banks)
98. But the true servants of Allah shall be well provided for, feasting on fruit, and honoured in the gardens of delight. Reclining face to face upon soft couches, they shall be served with a goblet filled at a gushing fountain, white, and delicious to those who drink it. It will neither dull their senses nor befuddle them. They shall sit with bashful, dark-eyed virgins, as chaste as the sheltered eggs of ostriches. Verse 40.
Sura 39: Al-Sumar (The Hordes)
99. Allah takes away men’s souls upon their death, and the souls of the living during their sleep. Verse 42.
Sura 42: Al-Shura (Counsel)
100. Let evil be rewarded with like evil. But he that forgives and seeks reconcilement shall be rewarded by Allah. Verse 40.
Sura 44: Al-Dukhan (Smoke)
101. As for the righteous, they shall dwell in peace together amidst gardens and fountains, arrayed in rich silks and fine brocade. Yes, and We shall wed them to dark-eyed houris. Verses 51through 54.
Sura 47: Mohammed
102. When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield strike off their heads and, when you laid them low, bind your captives firmly. Verse 4.
103. Those that disbelieve and debar others from Allah’s path and in the end die unbelievers shall not be shown forgiveness by Allah. Therefore do not falter or sue for peace when you have gained the upper hand. Allah is on your side and will not grudge you the reward of your labours. Verse 34.
Sura 48: Al-Fath (Victory)
104. Those that swear fealty to you swear fealty to Allah Himself. Verse 10.
105. Mohammed is Allah’s apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. Verse 29.
Sura 49: Al-Hujurat (The Chambers)
106. The true believers are those that have faith in Allah and His apostle and never doubt; and who fight for His cause with their wealth and persons. Verse 15.
Sura 52: Al-Tur (The Mountain)
107. But in fair gardens the righteous shall dwell in bliss, rejoicing in what their Lord will give them. He will shield them from the scourge of Hell. He will say: “ Eat and drink in joy. This is the reward of your labours.”
They shall recline on couches ranged in rows. To dark-eyed houris We shall wed them. Verses 17 through 20.
108. Fruits We shall give them, and such meats as they desire. They will pass from hand to hand a cup inspiring no idle talk, no sinful urge; and there shall wait on them young boys of their own as fair as virgin pearls. Verses 22, 23 and 24.
Sura 55: Al-Rahman (The Merciful)
109. They shall recline on couches lined with thick brocade, and within their reach will hang fruits of both gardens. Which of your Lord’s blessing would you deny?
They shall dwell with bashful virgins whom neither man nor jinee will have touched before. Which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny?”
Virgins as fair as corals and rubies. Which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny? Verses 54 through 59. .
110. Each planted with fruit-trees, the palm and the pomegranate. Which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny?
In each there shall be virgins chaste and fair. Which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny?
Dark-eyed virgins sheltered in their tents (which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny?) whom neither man nor jinee will have touched before. Which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny?
They shall recline on green cushions and rich carpets. Which of your Lord’s blessings would you deny? Verses 68 through 77.
Sura 56: Al-Waqi’a (That Which Is Coming)
111. They shall recline on jeweled couches face to face, and there shall wait on them immortal youths with bowls and ewers and a cup of purest wine (that will neither pain their heads nor take away their reason); with fruits of their own choice and flesh of fowls that they relish. And theirs shall be the dark-eyed houris, chaste as hidden pearls: a guerdon for their deeds. Verses 15 through 24.
112. We created the houris and made them virgins, loving companions for those on the right hand: a multitude from the men of old, and a multitude from the later generations. Verses 34 through 39.
Sura 57: Al-Hadid (Iron)
113. Those of you that gave of their wealth before the victory and took part in the fighting shall receive greater honour than the others who gave and fought thereafter. Verse 10.
114. Every misfortune that befalls the earth, or your own persons, is ordained before We bring it into being. Verse 22.
Sura 58: (Al-Mujadila)
115. Do you see those that have befriended a people (the Jews) with whom Allah is angry? They belong neither to you nor to them. They knowingly swear to falsehoods. Allah has prepared for them a grievous scourge. Evil indeed is that which they have done. Verses 14-15.
116. Satan has gained possession of them and caused them to forget Allah’s warning. They are the confederates of Satan; Satan’s confederates shall surely be lost. Verse 19. This is referring to those mentioned in verses 14-15.
Sura 60: Al-Mumtahana (She Who Is Tested)
117. Believers, do not make friends with those who are enemies of Mine and yours. Would you show them kindness when they have denied the truth that has been revealed to you and driven the Apostle and yourselves out of your city because you believe in Allah, you Lord?
If it was indeed to fight for My cause, and out of a desire to please Me that you left your city, how can you be friendly to them in secret? Verse 1.
118. Allah does not forbid you to be kind and equitable to those who have neither made war on your religion nor drive you from you homes. Allah loves the equitable. But He forbids you to make friends with those who have fought against you on account of your religion and driven you from your homes or abetted other so to do. Verse 8.
119. Believers, do not make friends with those who have incurred the wrath of Allah. Verse 13.
Sura 61: Al-Saff (Battle Array)
120. Allah loves those who fight for His cause in ranks as firm as a mighty edifice. Verse 4.
121. Have faith in Allah and His apostle and fight for His cause with your wealth and your persons. Verse 11.
122. And He will bestow upon you other blessings which you desire: help from Allah and a speedy victory. Verse 13.
Sura 62: Al-Jum’a (Friday, or the Day of Congregation)
123. Those to whom the burden of the Torah was entrusted and yet refused to bear it are like a donkey laden with books. Verse 5.
124. Say to the Jews: “If your claim be true that of all men you alone are Allah’s friends, then you should wish for death!” But, because of what their hands have done, they will never wish for death. Verses 6 and 7.
Sura 64: Al-Taghabun (Cheating)
125. No misfortune befalls except by Allah’s will. Verse 11.
126. Believers, you have an enemy in your wives and children: beware of them. But if you overlook their offences and forgive and pardon them, then know that Allah is forgiving and merciful.
Your wealth and children are but a temptation. Verse 14.
Sura 65: Al-Talaq (Divorce)
127. It is Allah who has created seven heavens, and earths as many. Verse 12.
Sura 66: Al-Tarim (Prohibition)
128. Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, and evil their fate. Verse 9.
Sura 70: Al-Ma’arij (The Ladders)
129. To redeem himself from the torment of that day the sinner will gladly sacrifice his children, his wife, his brother, the kinsfolk who gave him shelter, and all the people of the earth, if then this might deliver him. Verses 11 through 14.
130. …who restrain their carnal desire (save with their wives and slave-girls, for these are lawful to them: he that lusts after other than these is a transgressor); Verses 29, 30 and 31.
Sura 76: Al-Insan (Man)
131. They shall be served with silver dishes, and beakers as large as goblets: silver goblets which they themselves shall measure: and cups brim-full with ginger-flavored water from the Fount of Selsabil. They shall he attended by boys graced with eternal youth, who to the beholder’s eyes will seem like sprinkled pearls. When you gaze upon that scene you will behold a kingdom blissful and glorious. Verses 15 through 20.
Sura 78: Al-Naba’ (The Tidings)
132. As for the righteous, they shall surely triumph. Theirs shall be gardens and vineyards, and high-bosomed maidens for companions: a truly overflowing cup. Verses 31 through 34.
Sura 86: Al-Tariq (The Night Visitant)
133. They scheme against you: but I, too, have My schemes. Therefore bear with the unbelievers, and let them be awhile. Verses 15 through 17.
Sura 98 Al-Bayyina (The Proof)
134. The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of creatures. Verse 6.
All quotes are taken verbatim from the above mentioned Koran. I have tried to keep comments to a minimum, but when I did comment, I did so in order to give the reader a sense of context. I understand a translation is not the same as the original, and some degree of meaning can be lost in the best of translations.
I have chosen the particular quotes for various reasons. Some I simply found interesting. Some I found to be similar to verses from the Old and New Testaments. Some because their theme of violence against infidels is so often repeated that I would be interested to hear from Muslims how non-Muslims, i.e. infidels should believe Muslims are not instructed to fight and kill infidels until the entire world is conquered in the name of Islam. Comments and clarifications regarding any of these quotes would be welcomed.
I apologize for any grammatical errors, which I may have made.
Note on verse numbers of quotes:
Since the Dawood translation does not specify every verse, I have used a second translation to determine the exact verse of each quote. The translation used was “Al-Qur’an: A Contemporary Translation” by Ahmed Ali, published by Princeton University Press, revised third printing of the 1988 edition. • (2432 views)