Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 15 16 17 [18]
Author Topic: Church Scandals
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Church Scandals
on: February 5, 2019, 13:59

Well, at least they weren't homosexual.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 6, 2019, 15:52

I glanced at a piece the other day that seemed to be saying that Catholics could continue to be good Catholics, whatever the higher-ups are doing. And that’s a necessary attitude.

To some extent, the bad leaders that come along in any movement put one in that position. Should I jettison America because it elected an America-hating racist in the guise of B. Hussein Obama?

But when you start electing a lot of these kinds, then you have a problem. I sympathize with the Catholic laity. But unless they stop putting money in the collection box, this isn’t going to change.

Yes, the priest right in front of you may not be the problem. But the only way to have any effect on the problem is to choke the Church of money.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 6, 2019, 16:17

Good Christians are supposed to tithe, but if you have reason to believe the money is being wasted (as is the case with much Catholic money), you can always donate the same amount to good charities. Or you might be able to donate it to specific Church causes, such as donating to Catholic schools. At the elementary level I suspect they're as good as ever.

The problem with an episcopal church such as the Catholics or the Episcopalians is that any rot must be cleaned out from the top down. Both failed to do this, until the rotters infiltrated into the higher levels of the hierarchy. And so both have been corrupted, albeit in different ways.

Of course, the churches consist of fallible humans, and thus are always subject to all forms of corruption. Details may vary, but no one is perfect.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 6, 2019, 21:30

You speak much wisdom, Grasshopper.

Personally, I think the only way to understand Christianity is via a small group of people who are willing to do the work about what it means. I think most churches now are a wasteland. I’ve gotten more out of reading Deana or Glenn than I would ever get out of regular attendance.

To each his own, but if Christianity is to not just be another religion, it has to be more than ego projection, feel-goodism, or a clique. And I understand the marketplace of the Sacraments (that is, turning them into a commodity that keeps one coming back to the sole source). And I understand no one is perfect. Things will be what they will be. Lowest common denominators tend to proliferate.

But, good gosh, things have gotten so bizarre it seems like common sense that if you want to learn something about it, you don’t go to the hucksters to do so. And if something is worth believing and doing, then it’s worth believing and doing right. And to actually pay toward the corruption of the faith just seems bizarre to me. But then sometimes you get what you pay for.

Pages: First << 15 16 17 [18]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.145 seconds.