Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 14 15 16 [17]
Author Topic: Church Scandals
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Church Scandals
on: October 19, 2018, 11:41

I would also like to see that scientific data. Since sexual abuse is not something the perpetrators (and often the victims) discuss much, I doubt there can be much reliable evidence on the subject. Most likely someone who wanted to find out that homosexuals are no worse than heterosexuals studied the issue in a cursory way and discovered what he wanted, as happens so often in politicized science. Then, too, lesbians are probably much less abusive, which would cut down the overall rate of homosexual abuse.

One should also note that there is ordinary sexual abuse of people one's own age (which is what Justice Kavanaugh was falsely accused of doing), and abuse of children and barely pubescent adolescents. That was the main problem involved the Catholic clergy's lavender mafia.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: October 19, 2018, 12:04

the libtard author of the article stated that scientific data shows that homosexuals are no more likely to abuse people as heterosexuals.

Sounds like more fake-science to me akin to the phony claim that "2/3rds of women who have been sexually abused, don't report it." This is dishonest on its face. If they don't report sexually abuse, how does anyone know about it? More feminine hysteria or lies.

One should also note that there is ordinary sexual abuse of people one's own age (which is what Justice Kavanaugh was falsely accused of doing), and abuse of children and barely pubescent adolescents. That was the main problem involved the Catholic clergy's lavender mafia.

That may be the main problem, but almost as important is the abuse of power/trust and of the special relationship which should exist between a priest and his flock. It is similar to the situation which exists between a teacher and her students. This is why so many crazy female teachers are being sent to jail, even though I figure most teenage boys are not complaining that much about having sex with their teachers.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: October 19, 2018, 12:58

That may be the main problem

What I’ve read, Mr. Kung, from some tell-all priests is that the main problem is the gaying up of the seminaries which then leads to the Lavender Mafia and promoting their own from within. This is a total circumventing of the Christian moral image, let alone the idea of a celebate clergy. (Males are inherently promiscuous. When it’s man-on-man, you’re multiplying this by two.)

Don’t chisel this in stone, but the narrative of this scandal being only about abusing children is apparently an intentional misdirection. Abuse of children has happened and is bad enough. But the real problem is rampant homosexuality. And I don’t have statistics, but it’s a sure bet that 90% of the children abused were boys.

Your note about the abuse of power and trust is central. If I’m a Catholic, I’m not giving this ill Church one dime of my money and I’m letting them know the reason why.

If you’re house was on fire, what would you be talking about? The fire or ways to put out the fire, of course. I just peeked into a Catholic forum I’m well acquainted with (and that used to be well acquainted with me) and this scandal isn’t by no means a hot topic among Catholics. And the hottest topic at Catholic Answers Forum is a pro-evolution one.

At another forum I can’t offhand find any discussion of the current conflagration. My view is that Catholics have become so overwhelmingly liberal that this is just not much of a hot topic for most.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: October 21, 2018, 10:06

The Marxification of the Catholic Church is likely so beyond reform that it is an academic point. But NRO has a symposium on the subject that all revolve around Michael Dougherty’s article in the October 29, 2018 issue of National Review.

The one symposium writer worth reading is Daniel J Mahoney. You can pretty much skip the rest who are either namby-pamby (Lopez, as usual) or just can’t get to the point. Doughtery’s article is available without a subscription and is pretty good although misses some vital overall points which I’ll get to.

Mahoney writes:

As Dougherty brilliantly demonstrates, these men reduce the gospel to a barely attainable “objective ideal,” one that won’t get in the way of accommodating democratic relativism or a corrupt notion of mercy that never asks imperfect human beings to repent or turn to the light of God. In so doing, they make a mockery of the apostolic teaching the Church is charged to protect and sustain.

The heart of Doughtery’s article is this:

What is a pope for Catholics? The Council of Florence said that he is “the true Vicar of Christ, and the Head of the whole Church, and the Father and Teacher of all Christians; and that to him in blessed Peter was delivered by our Lord Jesus Christ the full power of pasturing, ruling, and governing the whole Church.” The first Vatican Council rejected those who claimed the pope can deliver new doctrines, saying that his responsibility was to protect and safeguard the existing truths of the Catholic faith. “To satisfy this pastoral duty, our predecessors ever made unwearied efforts that the salutary doctrine of Christ might be propagated among all the nations of the earth, and, with equal care, they watched that it might be preserved, genuine and pure, where it had been received.”

Francis’s defenders have rejected that modest duty. One of his chief apologists and attack dogs, Father Thomas Rosica, has grandly claimed that “Pope Francis breaks Catholic traditions whenever he wants because he is ‘free from disordered attachments.’” He explains that the Church has entered a “new phase,” and that “with the advent of this first Jesuit pope, it is openly ruled by an individual rather than by the authority of Scripture alone or even its own dictates of tradition plus Scripture.” By this definition, the papacy would be transferred from a guardian of truth to its living oracle. It would be easy to dismiss Rosica as a mere enthusiast but for the fact that Francis openly challenges Church teaching. Most recently, Francis revised the Catechism of the Catholic Church to say that the death penalty had become inadmissible, effectively declaring that the Church had been in error until his arrival.

On Drudge today I read that Young Catholics urge Vatican to issue inclusive LGBT message. Read this in conjuction with a rare article at AT that has a point: Vestal Victims and the Cult of Left-Wing Narcissism

Mahoney also writes: “The Holy Spirit, whom they routinely ritualistically invoke, somehow always seems to be on “the right side of History.”

So what is this to you or me? Maybe nothing. But it is interesting to ponder the metaphysics of it all. The Catholic Church supposedly derives it’s authority from God, starting with Peter, binding things on earth as they are in heaven. Etc. The Holy Ghost is said to pick the popes.

But what do we say about a religion that suddenly mocks and undercuts its very founding ideals and legitimacy? We can say that perhaps, as Christopher Hitchens would remark, it was all bullshit to begin with. But if it’s not then the Catholic Church is a moral authority is lost. Only extraordinary circumstances could save it.

Much like large swaths of Protestantism, church attendance is more of a function of narcissism or entertainment. Or the job of religion is now to sanctify us as we are and turn sin, as these writers say, into half-virtues leaving actual belief (seen now as “heroic” and thus an oddity and certainly unnecessary) to a few rare individuals who really don’t count for anything.

I was usually only half-serious when I said that I was more Catholic than most Catholics. The joke is no longer that bizarre or particularly irrelevant. Stand where you are now, simply in place and not necessarily moving any closer to the saints, and the wind will blow the “believers” into a land so foreign that it’s no longer an apt truism to answer an obvious question with, “Is the pope Catholic?”

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 21, 2018, 10:25

People (even many clergy) carefully forget (or were never taught) that Jesus followed "Let him among you that is without sin cast the first stone" with telling the woman, "Go, and sin no more." Absolution requires repentance and, if possible, actual atonement for the misdeeds. The Lavender Mafia have no interest in either -- and the Peron Pope, to judge from the evidence so far, doesn't care.

In the late 19th Century, the Pope (I don't recall which, though I'm sure it can be located in wikipedia) announced the doctrine of papal infallibility. Apparently this only applies when the Pope is making pronouncements in the name of the Church. But it creates a problem for those who wish to revolutionize the Church, as many supporters of the Peron Pope (probably including him) do. If you say change such doctrines, you create a conundrum: is the Church infallible now or was it infallible when it originally issued these doctrines? This limits what the Peron Pope can do without totally sacrificing the authority of the Church. But I doubt a Jesuit cares about that. Jesuits used to be known as the soldiers of the Church. But that was then, and this is now, and they're soldiers for a tradition that has nothing to do with Roman Catholicism.

Indeed, it increasingly looks like "Is the Pope Catholic?" should be asked not to answer an obvious yes question, but rather an obvious no question. ("Does Hillary Clinton have any virtues?" "Is the Pope Catholic?")

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: October 21, 2018, 10:45

The Lavender Mafia have no interest in either

Say what one will about the idea of celibate priests. I think a consideration was that unmarried priests would be more likely to hand over any property they owned to the church instead of passing it to their children

But also there must have been the idea that in order to have the moral authority to tell other people “Thou shalt not,” one must not be engaging in scandal oneself, and sexual scandals are amongst the most common, so perhaps better just to turn it off completely.

Obviously with homosexual priests (pedophile or otherwise) now running amok in the Church, they realize they have no moral authority to tell anyone “Thou shalt not” so there are simply doing what all liberals have done: re-defined morality to suit their proclivities.

Dennis Prager has dealt thoroughly with this subject on his radio program. The Alinsky approach has been to use people’s imperfections (holding them to their own rules) to undermine existing moral authority. And it’s worked wonderfully. There is perhaps no better way to distinguish between liberal and conservative, practical atheist and Christian, than being conversant with the idea that standards are standards even if we as individuals don’t always meet them. Yes, there is such thing as hypocrisy. But if we wait until we are perfect to enforce standards there will be no standards at all.

Whether this permissiveness and noodle-spinedness started with Dr. Spock or not, it’s the sure litmus test for whether one is liberal or not…no matter what outer clothing one may wear. Many supposed conservatives, if they are honest with themselves, will look in the mirror and see just how much of liberal relativism and redefined morality they have adopted. If you don’t as a parent use your authority to say “no” then you are part of the problem. Any because most parents now (because of outside cultural influences) are dealing with snowflakes, they find it very easy to not say no and to simply coddle bad behavior and redefine it as being “sensitive” or whatever.

This is where the Catholic Church is now and will continue to go. In the scheme of things, it’s hard to imagine it ever providing a bulwark against Islam. And, in fact, it is a facilitator of this evil. Dennis Prager calls Leftism the world’s most dynamic religion. And I think he’s right. But it’s also one that has the seeds of its own destruction built in. The Church cannot endure as a pleasure center for Snowflakes, not when our entertainment culture offers so many other sources of entertainment and/or cultural absolution. (Wear a ribbon. Take part in a march. Etc.) Why tithe for that? You can get if for free outside.

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 23, 2018, 12:48

The DC prosecutor is opening an investigation into Catholic clerical abusers there, on the basis that the Church is a non-profit organization (officially, at least), and this would mean acting improperly as such. The article also said that 14 states currently have similar investigations going on. The link is:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/laurettabrown/2018/10/23/dc-attorney-general-opening-an-investigation-into-catholic-sex-abuse-scandal-n2531146

Timothy-
Lane
on: December 3, 2018, 07:57

Well, the Peron Pope is at it again, and actually sensibly. He announced that homosexuals shouldn't be clergy unless they could suppress their urges. We'll see if he really means it, in which case he will start clearing out the lavender mafia from the Church ranks. I'll admit to not holding my breath waiting for it, but you never know. Ed Morrissey has a good piece on it at Hot Air. The link is:

Pope Francis: Gay men shouldn’t be priests

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: December 3, 2018, 11:15

He announced that homosexuals shouldn't be clergy unless they could suppress their urges.

I read that. And I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't mean a word of it. It's PR. As one noted writer (at NRO or The American Spectator) said, the Church is treating this as a public relations problem, not a moral problem. This is just a PR stunt by this immoral, anti-pope.

Pages: First << 14 15 16 [17]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.246 seconds.