Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Reinterpreted Christmas Carol
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: A Reinterpreted Christmas Carol
on: December 5, 2018, 09:00

Your interpretation of the psychology of A Christmas Carol impresses me quite well.

Thank you, Timothy. And God bless us every one!

The Malthusians basically don't think production can keep up with population increase.

One of the errors of women is emotionalism. One of the errors of men is trying to cram everything into a formula, particularly ever since the advent of the success in doing so regarding material and energy. It just doesn’t work regarding people and socieites and blinds rather than guides.

One could offer a comforting shibboleth that the primary error of Scrooge was the he was cold and inhuman, that he wasn’t human enough. But god save us from human nature.

A modern reading of A Christmas Carol would be that Ebenezer Scrooge was “woke” to social realities and concerns. To some extent this is true. But whatever economic or social theories that Dickens was espousing or rebutting, it’s interesting that he did so at Christmas Time and with three Spirits of God.

A non-Communist (and that might include a lot of on-the-fencers like you and me) would assert that only with a higher framework to pull from can the virtues that the transformed Scrooge adopted make any sense. All else is human opinion. That is, objective values vs. the kind of “woke” virtues that are anchored in nothing more than the mob.

This is where Dickens munged things. Although the character and the part are terrific, we get a transformed Scrooge anchored in a fuzzy do-gooder-ism. The effect is extraordinary in terms of story or cinema. But the moral and intellectual content, however, are fuzzy. No wonder Marx and the Soviets were attracted to this drivel.

Note, too, that Bob Cratchit is the idealized employee. And as I noted elsewhere, there’s nothing wrong with a story using caricatures and stereotypes. I doubt you could tell many good stories without them.

But the reality is the most employees will steal from their employers — the ones who have often worked night and day, risking everything to start and maintain a business. It may only be time that they steal but it is so common that the definition of “management material” would be those few who do it less or not at all and actually wish to forward the interests of the company.

When Scrooge talks of “surplus population,” this disdain could be reasonably said to be at least partially rooted in the fact that the mob is always out to take from the successful man. Bob Cratchit is a decent, honest, hard-working, long-suffering man….an ideal whose existence as an exception is a clear confirmation of the rule.

We should see from the story of Scrooge that it’s not an either/or thing. It’s not money vs. love. You can manage both. A modern and honest retelling of Scrooge would therefore have a woman in the role of Ebenezer — one who had put her career over husband, children, and her own happiness. This I don’t expect to see on film anytime soon. The Ghost of Political Correctness would forbid it.

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.096 seconds.