Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boeing
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Boeing
on: February 2, 2019, 15:43

Boeing is developing a new airliner which people are calling the 797. It is to fill the market between the 737 and 787. As one who has flown over a million miles, I have interest in what is happening in this area. But the main reason I am writing this is to let you have a look at this short video (in the middle of the page) which shows a new 787 and 737 flying together. It is beautiful.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/airlines/news/a27055/797-boeing-nma-new-airliner/

The video brings to mind one of my favorite poems:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I find it amazing and humbling that this could have been written by a 19 year old.

Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Boeing
on: February 2, 2019, 17:10

Interesting video. Would the 797 be as large as the 787, given that it has 2 aisles? I've certainly never been in any such airplane, but I was last on a plane in 1992.

That's a very familiar poem. I've seen it on occasion. I know it was written by a pilot, but wasn't it a military pilot?

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: February 2, 2019, 19:16

The author was John Gillespie Magee Jr. who was a pilot in the Royal Airforce. He died in a plane accident in 1941. His father was American and his mother was English.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 3, 2019, 20:30

Pretty amazing flying in formation. You’d think the jet wash would be a real hazard. And do those plains typically climb that fast on takeoff or do you think that was just for show?

Nice poem. And I’ve read a little about the 797. Sounds like one big-ass plane. Speaking of poetry:

There once was a plane-maker, Boeing
Whose aluminum hulks are still going
A stretch or a mid-class
To the 797 big-ass
Are all patently faster than rowing

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: February 3, 2019, 20:51

And do those plains typically climb that fast on takeoff or do you think that was just for show?

It has been my experience that such planes do not generally take off into a quick vertical incline. The one type that did was the Brazilian Embraer ERJ small commercial jet. I was very surprised the first time I flew in one. It made me think of a fighter jet's takeoff. Zoom up and away.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 3, 2019, 22:16

Jump jets (VTOL) like the Harrier of Gulf War fame rise vertically, but most jets' motion is more horizontal than vertical when climbing. Fighters climb faster because they're lighter and usually faster.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.151 seconds.