Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Serenity Now
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Serenity Now
on: February 6, 2018, 10:31

A new "scientific" study says: Meditation doesn't make you a calmer person: Buddhist practice leaves people just as aggressive and prejudice.

Let’s assume for the moment — a very big assumption — that this scientific study is not as unreliable and biased as so much of the gibberish out there that masquerades as objectivity. Why might meditation not be working?

Very simple, in my opinion, and it has nothing to do with anyone not doing it right. Meditation is inherently mental masturbation. You are turning further and further inward even under the conceit of “losing yourself or being one with the world.”

I believe in prayer and quiet time. But I think meditation isn’t particular effective because it is an attempted escape from the inescapable (various problems and turmoil). I think the expectation that you *can* escape from the world’s turmoil just makes that turmoil worse. That is, it make the Snowflakes flakier.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: Serenity Now
on: February 6, 2018, 10:53

Meditating on the stupidity and mendacity of this guy would certainly cause aggression.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357037/Trudeau-mocked-telling-woman-say-peoplekind.html

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 6, 2018, 11:18

That was also covered on Townhall, where people pointed out that "peoplekind" isn't a word, though humankind is. Perhaps Trudeau is so testosterone-challenged that he couldn't accept "human" because one syllable says "man".

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: February 6, 2018, 11:57

I thought the same thing, but concluded the idiot couldn't use "human" because its root is man. That's how nutty these people are.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 6, 2018, 13:50

You will all find Serenity Now if you use the correct pronoun. And the correct one is so all-inclusive, it can’t be written down. It’s sort of like how Spock told the one babe who was sweet on him on the spore-planet when he refused to give his first name: “You probably couldn’t pronounce it.”

So no alphabetic character of any language can represent this perfect, all-inclusive pronoun. So it’s written as such. “Bob and Betty went to the mall. ~*& bought a gun and ~*& bought a dress.”

You have to figure out the sex of the individual from the context. And nowadays it’s no certain thing either way.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 6, 2018, 15:01

The opposite of “Serenity Now” is damn near anything done online. Online is what people use to amplify their discontent.

I’m all for the idea of looking for peace. But I disagree with the metaphysics of Buddhism. We are here for some purpose other than to just dissolve all our problems away via self-annihilation.

And that’s not to say that most people wouldn’t do better if they pricked their ego as if it were a large, over-inflated balloon. That aspect is needed by most. Or, as Sergeant Hulka said in Stripes, “Lighten up, Francis.”

Truly it is that simple. You don’t need to engage in what is little more than an affectation by pretending to being the enlightened one. Meditation tends to be about little more than the glorification of the self, no matter the rhetorical baloney about “Becoming one with the universe.” Most people just need to lighten the hell up and become one with deflating their inflated sense of Snowflakeness.

Men have an obsessive-compulsive component that is both constructive and destructive. Learning to act like women isn’t the cure. Meditation isn’t the cure. Discipline and lightening the hell up may not be the complete cure, but it’s a start. Not taking yourself so damn seriously may be helpful.

And what sure as heck will be a help is not obsessing on your own problems. The cure to lightening up may be to help someone else. Instead of obsessing on trying to perfect and purify your “center,” you need to get the hell out of your center and perhaps make someone else your center, at least some of the time.

Or take a walk in the woods. Or listen to a little Beethoven. Or just turn off the damn vulgar TV with its idiot commercials and idiot content and take up a useful hobby.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.149 seconds.