Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plastics
Timothy-
Lane
Post Plastics
on: August 16, 2018, 15:44

We all know about the campaign to ban plastic straws to eliminate the teeny, tiny percentage of plastic garbage (mostly in the ocean) that they form. Now they're starting to go after plastic toy balloons, though I don't know if anyone's talking bans yet. Rest assured, they will; already many people are discouraging their use. (Clemson has decided to end their practice of releasing 10,000 balloons before each football game.)

None of this matters much to me. I never use straws anyway, and my nursing home doesn't release toy balloons in people's rooms at any time (and I was already there at my birthday and Christmas last year, which are less than 2 weeks apart anyway). Nor does either matter much to the oceans, since neither contributes a significant amount of plastic waste.

Jazz Shaw, at Hot Air, was discussing another possibility: thin plastic wrapping around individually wrapped cheese slices (which are then wrapped in plastic packages). He sounded like he had no idea why anyone would use this, perhaps never having encountered unwrapped cheese turned stale after several days exposed to the air. I certainly have. This isn't much of a problem if you keep the outer package sufficiently closed, as we were able to do when we started getting real sliced cheeses (mostly Sargento) due to their lower sodium content. This doesn't seem to work so well with the packages of (much less expensive) processed cheese.

As with straws and balloons, I wonder how much of a problem these packages are. And what good alternative to them is there? But Jazz Shaw is right that there is a lot of plastic packaging for a lot of items (fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables often come wrapped in plastic, and breadstuffs just about always do, and many large purchases come with a lot of plastic), and eventually it adds up. But, again, what's the superior alternative?

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: Plastics
on: August 17, 2018, 15:29

Just hold your breath and don't expel any CO2.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: August 17, 2018, 16:28

I have always thought the environmental wackos are like the captured alien in "Independence Day" who when asked by Bill Pullman "what can we do for you?" replied, "Die!"

Clearly the environmental wacko who made the movie had little sense of self-irony.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: August 20, 2018, 10:31

LOL, Mr. Kung.

I think it’s a grand thing to recycle plastic. But it’s disturbing to watch the Left inculcate these crazies with a plastic phobia. I say, get down on your knees and thank God for these polymeric wonders. The life-saving (not to mention utilitarian and fun) uses of plastics is perhaps beyond any other material.

Liberals are all fools. And I use that word liberally. For all those foolish individuals back in the 50’s and 60’s who thought the abandonment of all restrictions would be a good thing need to face reality: What we are facing now is not “liberalization” as they vaguely understood it but an increasingly restrictive and vindictive political movement. And that core was there all along.

Will the tie-dye idiots ever wake up to this fact? Not likely. They have too much invested in their original Utopia — one that included sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll as the lynchpins. Hell, even rock music has been severely degraded.

Timothy-
Lane
on: August 20, 2018, 12:23

We went to the New York World's Fair in 1964 after returning from Greece. (Our hotel or whatever was right under the Brooklyn end of the brand-new Verrazano Narrows bridge, which I rather appreciated.) One company (probably DuPont) had a robotic sketch -- in effect, an ad for cellophane and its uses in keeping foods in a country store sanitary.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: August 20, 2018, 12:34

Where would photography be without plastics? What we can know for sure about such obsessions is that the Left has done such a good job destroying any typical avenue of meaning that the only way many yutes can gain meaning is by becoming an environmental zealot, a worshipper of Gaia.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.251 seconds.