Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Christmas Gifts
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: Christmas Gifts
on: January 18, 2019, 13:47

I would say it was typical Chinese in the sense of how overseas Chinese would adapt. Hainan Island is not exactly part of the heart of China historically, but because of its location a lot of Hainanese immigrated to S.E. Asia. For some reason, many restaurant people in Singapore were of Hainanese origin. It might have had to do with some of the first Hainanese immigrants to S.E. Asia working in the food business and it was convenient for those who followed them from Hainan to go to work with their compatriots.

The article mentions Swee Kee's as possibly being the originator of Chicken Rice in Singapore. It was certainly the most famous Chicken Rice restaurant when I lived in Singapore and I visited it several times. But I liked the Mandarin's Chicken Rice better.

The most wonderful thing about Chicken Rice is that the rice is cooked in the chicken stock. Several other ingredients were added. I think garlic and lemon grass might be a couple of them.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 18, 2019, 13:54

Definitely sounds good. I get the impression lemon grass is southeast Asian rather than Chinese or Indian. I think Elizabeth has done something like that in cooking rice, but the idea would be obvious to anyone who likes ramen, which has at times been a staple for her.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: January 19, 2019, 15:09

Chef Martin Yan has a new series titled "A Taste Of Malaysia" which is aired on PBS. I forgot to mention this last week, but Yan spotlights some of the most loved foods in Malaysia and, by extension, Singapore. It is broadcast Saturdays at 4:30pm Central Time.

For anyone interested in learning a bit about S.E. Asian food, which is a mixture of local and Chinese food, I can recommend this series highly.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 19, 2019, 16:59

Well, after all, ketchup comes from the Malayan kechap as I recall, though I wonder how much resemblance there really is between the two. We have a couple of Thai restaurants in Louisville, and I believe Elizabeth and I once ate at one of them. We've also eaten at a Vietnamese restaurant. I've never seen a Malaysian or Indonesian restaurant. Plenty of Chinese and Indian restaurants, and some Japanese. (They tend to be expensive. But some Asian buffets have Japanese food, including sushi. And Elizabeth has done some Japanese cooking herself.)

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: January 20, 2019, 21:55

Further to my wife's Hainanese Chicken Rice, below is a link to a photo of Chicken Rice which she made for supper tonight. It was so good I went back and had some more.

Mr. Kung’s Chicken Rice

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 20, 2019, 22:01

Looks tasty. I trust there are no legumes there; I certainly didn't notice any.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: January 20, 2019, 22:09

No there is only rice and chicken. They are seasoned with garlic, lemon grass and one or two other things. Then she adds cucumbers and tomatoes. The condiments are a thick black soy sauce and certain type of chili sauce which one finds in S.E. Asia. It has nothing to do with sambal or sriracha sauce.

As to legumes, one generally encounters soy beans in bean curd. Peanuts are sometimes eaten boiled and in peanut sauce. Of course, snow peas are popular in Cantonese food. But S.E. Asian food doesn't use legumes like we do.

The Indians use them extensively due to so many Indians being vegetarians.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 21, 2019, 07:32

Snow peas I can handle, and also soy sauce (which often has nothing to do with soybeans) and tofu. I don't know that I've ever had bean curd or bean paste and would be hesitant to try them. I do recall that there are many Indian dishes using lentils. Fortunately, there are plenty of others that don't.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 21, 2019, 10:31

What a splendid looking dish. And, of course, I mean your wife. 😀

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.205 seconds.