Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: St. Patrick
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post St. Patrick
on: March 17, 2018, 09:54

Here's a very nice and informative article on St. Patrick by Jack Kerwick: St. Patrick: A Great Christian Missionary.

Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: St. Patrick
on: March 17, 2018, 10:27

I noticed that he didn't mention the most famous legend about Patrick, that he drove all the snakes out of Ireland. I suppose that has to be relegated to mythic status, which seems a lot likelier than its being the literal truth. I don't think there are all that many in Britain, either. I certainly didn't know about his period of slavery, even after spending two years at a Catholic school where Patrick was mentioned (I recall discussing the part about the snakes in class).

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 17, 2018, 14:20

What I appreciated from the article was learning the St. Patrick was never canonized but was made a saint by popular acclaim. I share that same goal.

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 17, 2018, 16:24

Of course, that approach can lead to anomalies. Sometime back, the Catholics decanonized a number of saints (such as Saint Christopher) because their canonization was dubious. I doubt Patrick is in danger, since even the Peron Pope wouldn't want the IRA targeting him. I'll bet the boyos could be a serious threat, though it probably wouldn't be a direct attack through the Swiss Guards.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 18, 2018, 09:05

the Catholics decanonized a number of saints (such as Saint Christopher)

There’s almost a SNL or Monty Pythonesque possibility to that: “Are your saints not up to snuff? Use Saint-be-Gone, that fast-acting aerosol spray that leaves no oily film.”

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 18, 2018, 09:27

Well, as long as there are St. Christopher medals, Saint-be-Gone will be limited in its applications. When the Church decanonized the saints, apparently it only took away their official status as saints. They didn't say, for example, that St. Christopher medals would now be heretical. They knew their limits.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 18, 2018, 09:58

I think we can search for a better brand name. I offer some choices, all available in non-CFC sprays:

• Canon-Off!
• Halo-no-More
• Beatification Nullification (also in roll-on)

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 18, 2018, 11:19

Ain't no Saint Sham Saint Stripper
Holy be gone Faux Saint Remover
Catholic cancellation phony Saint Cleaner

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 18, 2018, 12:32

I can see that first one lending itself to a good jingle.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 19, 2018, 14:16

By the way, thanks for the link to the article about St. Patrick by Kerwick. I never knew why the Celtic Cross was shaped the way it was. Kerwick's article was very enlightening in that regard. You know my philosophy about reading. If one comes across new information every few hundred pages, the reading has been profitable. That means reading ST for the next couple of months or so will have been profitable.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.168 seconds.