Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Remember the Alamo!
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: Remember the Alamo!
on: April 21, 2018, 19:25

I recall the canons as they were smaller than you would expect. Perhaps I am mis-remembering, but I do believe they are the actual canons, but maybe they are reproductions.

Timothy-
Lane
on: April 21, 2018, 19:43

They may be partial reproductions. The wooden wheels are much less likely to the originals than the original metal (probably bronze) barrels. I've seen guns on many battlefields, and they probably are rarely the original weapons at that site. (At Shiloh they have the guns of the grand battery that took out the Hornet's Nest, and there's no way they could have located the originals on all the fields they would have ended up on.) I would suspect they would be 6-pounder smoothbores, compared to the 12-pounder Napoleons of the War of the Rebellion.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: April 21, 2018, 20:00

The two canons are just the actual bronze barrels. There were no wheels or other parts of the carriage. I can't recall if they were set on top of concrete foots or some other material.

I figure they are probably 6 pounders, at the most. I read of even 4 pounders in a previous Sharpe novel. Such small canons would be best for shooting grape-shot, I guess.

Timothy-
Lane
on: April 21, 2018, 20:31

I'm sure they would have had wheels. If they don't now, then those probably are the originals. I checked on wikipedia and they mentioned the troops pulling the guns as they snuck up on the Mexicans. There were some 6-pounders in the War of the Rebellion (and the Twin Sisters were used by John B. Magruder when he recaptured Galveston on January 1, 1863).

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.