Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: July 20 in recent history
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: July 20 in recent history
on: July 25, 2018, 15:53

My sources tell me that on July 25, 1795, the first stone was laid in the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.

Timothy-
Lane
on: July 25, 2018, 16:37

Apparently on the border between Wales and England. Not as impressive as that superb bridge on the Natchez Trace, but still interesting. As I recall of the Kingmaker board, I thought Chirk was further away from the border, but the map in wikipedia clearly shows it on the border. (In the game, it's a Fitzalan castle, but in reality it was a Mortimer stronghold, probably controlled during the Wars of the Roses by the Yorkists.)

ADDENDUM: Chirk was taken by the Earl of Arundel (i.e., Fitzalan) in the mid-14th Century. The article (on some of the Mortimer lines) didn't say if they ever got it back. Another Mortimer line became part of the York heritage.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: July 25, 2018, 17:09

The area around the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct looks like it is worth a visit. The closest I have come to it is a drive from Chester in England to Angelsey in northwest Wales.

Timothy-
Lane
on: July 25, 2018, 17:34

The place I'd like to visit in Wales is the Hotel Portmeirion, where the TV series The Prisoner was shot. It's located in the town of Penrhyndeudraeth in Gwynedd.

Timothy-
Lane
on: July 28, 2018, 10:52

Well, one of the history-oriented mailings I get pointed out that July 28, 1945 was the day the US ratified the Useless Nations charter. Definitely not worth celebrating, but certainly a major milestone.

Timothy-
Lane
on: August 4, 2018, 13:47

August 4 is the day Barack Obama was inflicted on the world, which is a good reason not to honor the date. He was born on the 69th anniversary of an appropriate event:

Lizzie Borden took an axe,
And gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.12 seconds.