Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Breaking History
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Breaking History
on: March 30, 2019, 08:24

On March 30, 1867, Alaska officially was bought for $7.2 million dollars. It became known as Seward's Folly because no one ever thought it would be worth anything. Long time fans of this site might want to lift a glass today in honor of the late contributor Anniel.

Timothy-
Lane
on: April 15, 2019, 17:59

April 15 is the anniversary of the death of Abraham Lincoln and the sinking of the Titanic. An article at Town Hall today looked at the latter in terms of what it says about different cultures. Of course, many of the victims were in third class and their results owed a lot to other factors, but he still brings up an interesting point. Of all the different nations represented among passengers and crew, one was especially bad, with the men trying to force their way onto the lifeboats at the expense of the women -- even their own families.

It will come as no surprise that these men were Muslims, mostly Syrians. Unfortunately, I was unable to provide the link here.

Timothy-
Lane
on: April 25, 2019, 07:40

Well, it turns out today is a significant date in the history of America -- it's the day the name was first applies. On this day in 1507, Martin Waldseemüller published a map naming the New World after the man he thought discovered it, the explorer Amerigo Vespuccia. So have a nice day, citizens of Vespuccia!

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 7, 2019, 09:56

On May 7, 1945, Colonel General Alfred Jodl signed the German surrender in Rheims, where Eisenhower had his HQ, officially ending the European theater of World War II. It became V-E Day. Some accounts have the war ending the next day, when Hitler's lackey William Keitel signed a surrender to the Russians in Berlin. But that was just done for the sake of Soviet prestige; the surrender at Rheims included the Soviet Union as well as the the United States, the United Kingdom, and France.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 14, 2019, 07:59

On May 14, 1607, settlers arriving on the ships Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery established the first permanent English colony in North America on a swampy Virginia island they named Jamestown. They picked it at least partly because it was uninhabited. It didn't take them long to find out why.

On May 14, 1796, Edward Jenner performed the first vaccination, giving a patient cowpox to prevent getting smallpox. Prior to this, the practice of inoculation involved giving a patient a (hopefully) mild case of smallpox to prevent worse, and was known as variolation. (Variola is smallpox and vaccina is cowpox, hence the names, just as rubeola is measles and rubella is what used to be known as German measles.) This was familiar in America as well as Europe -- Cotton Mather was an advocate, and Washington's Continentals were variolated at one point. The idea came over from the Ottoman Empire, having originated further east.

On May 14, 1804, the Corps of Discovery led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark set out to explore the Missouri valley and beyond as part of Thomas Jefferson's effort to see what his new Louisiana Purchase brought.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: May 15, 2019, 19:06

It just hit me. Today is the Ides of March.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 15, 2019, 19:23

I've mentioned elsewhere the version of the Julius Caesar caper by Canadian comics Wayne & Shuster, who used to appear on Ed Sullivan. (This is why, in their "I Was a TV Addict" sketch, the doctor says of videomania, "Your druggist knows it as Sullivan's disease. It's really big.") It's about Brutus hiring Flavius Maximus, a private Roman eye, to solve the murder. I had it on an LP, and that particular version can be found on youtube. (They also have that version of "I Was a TV Addict". The version I heard of "A Shakespearean Baseball Game" was a later version, and "Frontier Psychiatrist" was too different to bother with.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.221 seconds.