Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Breaking History
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: Breaking History
on: February 6, 2019, 10:46

Mr. Kung, that book appears to be available online for free in various formats: Raffles of the Eastern Isles. I got the epub version to download but couldn't get the Kindle version to work. No matter. It's easy enough to convert to mobi format (which the Kindle readers will read).

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: February 6, 2019, 11:02

I read the book many years ago, but found it very interesting. Raffles was a dynamo who probably wore himself out, dying at a young age.

You will also run into William Farquhar, who was the real force behind Singapore's early success.

If you are really interested in Singaporean history, I can recommend "100 Years of Singapore" also by Turnbull. This is a two volume history thus more detailed than her other history which I recommended.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 6, 2019, 11:11

I have the feeling that Singapore will still be standing long after LA has met the fate of Gomorrah by means Biblical or otherwise.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 6, 2019, 13:25

So, since there's a Raffles Hotel, is there also a Farquahr Hotel or something similar. (We used to have a contributor from Singapore, an artist named Bert Wee, who sent us some photos. It included a photo of the Raffles Hotel, which I appreciated because I'd heard enough about it.)

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: February 6, 2019, 14:20

I do not recall every having heard of a Farquhar Hotel. As to the photo of the Raffles Hotel you received, is it of the hotel before major renovations were made in 1989-90 or afterward? The renovated hotel was very different from the original.

The Raffles was built and owned by the Sarkies brothers, Armenian hoteliers. They also owned the Eastern and Oriental Hotel, in Penang, The Strand Hotel in Rangoon and a cousin ran the now Orange Hotel in Surabaya, Indonesia. I have been lucky enough to have stayed in each one. I also lived for two years on Sarkies Road in Singapore.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 6, 2019, 14:40

The photo was probably post-renovation. It was many years ago, and it would have remained in the house when we sold it, but I doubt it was quite that far back.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 12, 2019, 08:42

On February 12, 1809, my distant cousin Abraham Lincoln was born in or near Hodgenville, Kentucky (I've been there twice). On the same day, Charles Darwin was born in England, and grew to become the Copernicus of biology.

George Washington was actually born February 11, but that was on the Julian calendar that Britain still used then. Later they switched to the Gregorian calendar, adding 11 days, so he switched it to February 22.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 15, 2019, 07:26

On February 15, 1898, the battleship USS Maine blew up in Havana harbor. Spain was understandably blamed for the explosion, though it has also been pointed out that the rebels could have done so as a provocation to induce the United States to go to war with Spain and free Cuba, as in fact happened. For that matter, coal-powered warships blew up occasionally due to spontaneous combustion in coal bunkers located close to ammunition magazines.

For that matter, this could cause problems for other ships as well, with the fires perhaps weakening the hull. The Titanic had such a spontaneous combustion problem when it set out on its journey, which may have contributed to its vulnerability to the iceberg that poked just enough holes into it to sink it.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 22, 2019, 18:12

February 22 is of course Washington's birthday. Technically he was born on February 11, but later England finally adopted the Gregorian calendar, which was 11 days ahead of the Julian calendar. A lot of people complained about the last 11 days, partly because ordinary urban residents paid rent by the month or quarter -- and no adjustment was required for the 11 fewer days.

An additional incident involving the day came in 1862, when Lincoln ordered all the armies to advance by February 22, noting that this was Washington's birthday. The weather might not be good -- but it was pretty bad during the Trenton and Princeton campaigns, probably worse on the Christmas night they crossed the Delaware to Trenton. (Some of the crossings failed because there was too much ice in the river.) Lincoln didn't get all he wanted, especially on the Potomac front.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.215 seconds.