Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 >> Last
Author Topic: Breaking News
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: Breaking News
on: October 17, 2018, 09:53

My first regular job, Mr. Kung, that was not just a one-off job was as a busboy in an upscale restaurant.

Funny, that was also my first job. It was at a restaurant named Jamie's, which has been only a memory for decades. It was the first place I ever saw which had curly-cue french fries and fancy hamburgers i.e. blue-cheese, bacon, avocados and such. There were copper bottom covers on which the waiters would place the actual porcelain plates holding the food. Every patron also got a red-bean soup in a copper bowl. I mention this to give you an idea of how heavy the containers were that we bus boys had to carry. There were no carts. As a twelve-year-old, it was a lot of work.

It was a summer job, which I got because the owner was a nephew of one of my father's good friends. Since I worked nights and could not drive, the owner would take me home after the restaurant closed. How many people do you think would do that nowadays?

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 17, 2018, 10:09

The first job I had was as a grill worker in my college dorm. There was no division of labor, so each worker had to do everything. In 1972 I had a summer job at a Louisville warehouse. That could be a heavy load at times for someone of modest strength, but fortunately no one ever gave me a job I was unable to do.

The only place I ever had snails was at New Orleans East, a topscale seafood buffet place (now out of business) we used to go to once a year. They were among the items that would be brought around periodically. You had to stay a long time to get all of the items (frog's legs were another). Mostly one relied on what was available on the buffet tables, of course. It was a very nice place, though in recent years we couldn't have gone even if it were still around.

I don't recall ever seeing specialty cheeses on a hamburger until we went to W. W. Cousin's here in Louisville. They call out the customer names when they're ready. One friend who came up with (an Ayn Rand fan) went once as "Francisco D." -- a good head on his shoulders, obviously. We would joke sometimes about the calls. ("Donner, party of 7 . . . Donner, party of 6 . . . Donner, party of 5 . . .")

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 18, 2018, 07:39

I assume most people here have heard about the male-calling-himself-female who won a national cycling championship. The faker is now whining about the objections to this from, among others, the bronze medalist (who should have been the silver medalist). He complains that his greater strength didn't give him any advantage, and spouting a lot of social justice rhetoric about his rights as a transgender. The rights of women competing for sports championships to compete against other women, not men pretending to be women, is irrelevant. The link is:

Transgender women’s cycling champion upset over people pointing out he’s a male

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: October 18, 2018, 10:28

It’s difficult for me to get hot and bothered about this issue, as we’ve discussed previously. The women who have facilitated this gender-category nonsense deserve all that they’re getting. What I can’t figure out is which suprises me more:

+ Idiot liberals allowing a man to compete as a woman in a sporting event

+ An idiot liberal having the balls (literally, in this case) to try to compete in a woman’s sporting event when he is a man.

I mean, has anyone ever accidentally walked into a the woman’s restroom? It’s a brief feeling of horror, of crossing a boundary (if only accidentally) that should not be crossed (although some can pull it off stylishly).

This is why I’m quite sure that “transgender” is, in fact, a mental issue, not a physical one. One commenter wrote: “Don't look to the American Psychiatiric Association for help. They're the one's who started the ball rolling.”

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 18, 2018, 11:29

You might like the song "The Restroom Door Said Gentleman" by the Bob Rivers Comedy Group, from their CD Twisted Christmas. The tune, of course, is from "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen". It's about the baleful consequences of walking into the wrong restroom because some prankster switched the signs.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: October 18, 2018, 11:37

I mean, has anyone ever accidentally walked into a the woman’s restroom? It’s a brief feeling of horror, of crossing a boundary (if only accidentally) that should not be crossed (although some can pull it off stylishly).

That is a perfect analogy. I did it once in a movie theater when I was a boy. I looked around and thought oh-oh. Luckily, there was a sort-of lounge with nice chairs and a row of mirrors where women could put on their makeup. The toilets were through a further door. I backed out pretty quickly.

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 18, 2018, 11:43

Back when I was young, I saw a movie (I don't remember which) in which a couple decided to re-enact their first meeting. The problem was that it happened in a women's restroom; they only marked them with pictures of "Laddie and Lassie", making such confusion believable. But some time later they had sensibly (and probably after a lot of other errors) changed the signs to be clearer. For some reason the man didn't want to make the same "mistake" when it was no longer reasonable. I don't recall the resolution. (It might have been something I saw on TV just for a bit, maybe even a TV show rather than a movie. But it did seem relevant here.)

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: October 18, 2018, 11:55

The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen. Ha. I hadn't heard that one before. Tis the season. Or getting close.

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 22, 2018, 19:17

The "caravan" of invaders has reportedly grown to 14,000 (waving Honduran flags even as they claim to want to flee the country) and continues marching through Mexico, having pushed back the police because they aren't willing to stop them -- even though they could use force at least against the young men who make up most of the invading army. It seems quite clear that they really intend to recreate Jean Raspail's The Camp of the Saints. albeit with an overland invasion instead of a sea-born one.

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 22, 2018, 20:28

I was just thinking of another analogy to the invaders from Central America. The 1954 Charlton Heston movie The Dark Jungle involves the owner of a cocoa plantation in Brazil who faces a massive invasion of army ants. He takes a lot of steps to block with fire and water (which the ants cross using leaves). Eventually he destroys a downstream dam on the river bordering his plantation, drowning the entire plantation to kill the remaining ants.

The connection to the invaders should be obvious. It was watching them cross a river on rafts that made me think of this.

Pages: First << 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.268 seconds.