Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 42 43 44 [45]
Author Topic: Breaking News
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: Breaking News
on: May 14, 2019, 12:56

I heard Rush talking about this article today, in his larger discussion of how China is screwing us. Rush kept on going about the Commies/etc. and how a communist economy cannot keep up with the USA. I am not one of those who worships Rush and have no problem calling him out when he talks rubbish, which he did in this case.

The “Chinese Communist Party” is in control of the government of China, but it is “Communist” in name only. What the Chinese government is, is authoritarian. And that term can be applied to all previous governments in Chinese history. It is nothing new. The rulers of China are doing what rulers always do i.e. trying to get the most for their country for the least amount of outlay. The better things go in China, from an economic view, the better things will go for the autocrats and the easier it will be to maintain power.

I will not go into the other ways Rush does not understand China. Rather I want to point out the major error he is making about why America has done what it has done to help China and continues to let China screw us.

Rush seems to believe that our American elites felt guilty about poverty in China and how if we helped China, the country would not only gain wealth and alleviate the crushing poverty under which hundreds of millions lived, but that China would join the family of nations and fit right in with our values.

I admit, these points were broached in the late 1970s and 1980s after Deng Xiaoping visited the West.

I was there when all this change was taking place. I have been involved with what used to be called the “China-trade” since 1977. I lived in Asia from 1979 until 2000, with six years (1985-1991) spent in Hong Kong at the point when the greatest change was coming about. While observing this from close up, I often wondered why the USA was giving away the shop to their potentially largest competitor. Two different reasons came to mind. The first was based on the idea that Rush and others constantly spout today. In a nutshell, we had somehow decided that things were so bad in China that it was becoming an unstable player which had the potential of disturbing world peace. And with the death of Mao and ascent of Deng, we had the chance to save the world and bring China into the family of nations.

It sounded very humanitarian and wonderful. But one mustn’t forget, I was there while this was happening. This being the case, my other thought that perhaps the real reason we were doing it was for a few American corporations and individuals to cream of billions of $$$ from a backward economy that was about to rise. One often heard the trope, “just think if we could sell every Chinese a stick of chewing gum or roll of toilet paper.” In retrospect, I have no doubt that the later reason was the real grounds for what happened while the good Samaritan theme was basically just a cover for the second.

What most people seem to have forgotten is that in those days much of the business news and reporting on the rise of China dealt with the “huge China-market” This illusory being was something which had hypnotized the West for at least two centuries. I even recall a number of articles about the old McCartney Mission to China in 1793. That mission like countless other peddlers, merchants and traders salivated at the vast potential of the China market. And like countless others, they overestimated the profit to be made in China because they didn’t understand what the people in charge wanted. There was no long-term plan.

Our current masters are something like that, they have reaped some of the huge profits to be made in China but have been blind to the potential competitor lurking in the future background. No, I am wrong, many of our elites understood what they were doing, but knew they could make bundles of money by transferring technology to China and didn’t care about future problems for America.

That is why we are where we are today.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 14, 2019, 13:08

That sounds very credible. The Chinese insist that the businesses build their products there, and then demand access to the technology. So the corporations make big money by mortgaging their future -- by which time someone else will probably be running them. And the money probably won't stop coming completely, or so they hope. And what it does to America is irrelevant to them.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: May 15, 2019, 14:49

The Never-Trumper Globalists are ready, as ever, to surrender the interests of the USA for their own. NRO is in the pocket of financial interests which are less interested in helping the average American than lining their own pockets. We should not surprised at this. Oligarchs throughout history have been quite willing to sell out their countries for personal gain.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/05/trump-trade-policy-china-tariffs/

The message of this article is "Please, oh please roll over for the Chinese."

If you read my comments on the China forum, you will see that Trump is not rolling over.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 16, 2019, 08:12

Bill de Blasio has finally entered the race, providing a rare blend of incompetence, ideological extremism, and corruption. At least he can count on his own vote, and no doubt can find more among people ignorant of his record.

Meanwhile, Trump has sanctioned the Chinese telecom firm Huawei for its ties to the Chinese government, such as leaving back doors for China to penetrate networks for espionage purposes. Of course, any Chinese firm is required to place itself at the service of the government. Benito Mussolini would be proud of this attitude. Meanwhile, the stupidest people on Earth -- eurocrats, including even the British -- are planning to rely on Huawei to set up their 5G networks. I hope they have absolutely nothing they don't want China to know. The link is:

Dutch and British intel experts agree: Trump’s right about Huawei

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: May 16, 2019, 14:47

I wonder if Huawei rhymes with phooey.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 16, 2019, 15:17

Appropriate, but actually I think it's more like Wah-way. Chinese has always been difficult in terms of phonetic transliterations. Of course, the fact that the same customs are used for both Mandarin and Cantonese, and maybe other Chinese languages as well, contributes to the problem. In Pinyin, for example, "ch" is transliterated "q", as in Qingdao (Tsingtao in the Wade-Giles version). Some of the vowel changes -- such as changing Wade-Giles "ho" to Pinyin "he" -- are interesting and leave me wondering how they're actually sounded.

A good idea of the changes can be seen in the name of one of Jenghiz's top generals. Michael Prawdin's history of the Mongols (which I picked up while I was in college) spells him in Jebei (probably a Pinyin spelling), whereas Trevor Dupuy's world military history spells him Chepe (probably Wade-Giles). I learned enough about the pronunciation of Wade-Giles spellings in my eastern Asian history course to know that the ch and p were vocalized to j and b.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 19, 2019, 08:30

They had elections in Australia, which no one covered because the Labor Party, running on the same sort of issues as the Demagogues, was expected to win against the incumbent center-right Coalition. This is especially true since the Prime Minister seemed to take after Trump. It was an unlosable election for Labor, just as 2016 was for the Fire Witch, so it should be no surprise that the Coalition held on. The link to one article on this is:

Labor Loses Unloseable Race in Australia

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: May 19, 2019, 08:39

I noted this as well. I was a little surprised that Tony Abbot, a past conservative PM, was defeated.

Australia is very dependent on the "raw materials" economy and have been hit by the weakness in the Chinese economy. This being the case, one would have thought Labour would have been a shoe-in. But of course their professed policies would have hurt the "raw materials" economy even more, because of their "green" proposals. What a bunch of idiots.

Pages: First << 42 43 44 [45]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.223 seconds.