Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 26 27 28 [29] 30 31
Author Topic: Breaking News
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: Breaking News
on: January 9, 2019, 10:43

You make me think, Timothy, that some kind of Travel Guide Through the Insanity of Leftist Culture might be of benefit. However, what most people do is Quisle (as in Quisling). They stay silent. Their job may be at stake if they speak their mind. We see the value when the Left makes an example of someone (even their own) because it bullies people into silence.

I totally get why people come online and play Superman behind the keyboard. It is online (at least in some places) where you can vent. But my shtick is that it is better to be an honest coward than to play Social Superman behind the keyboard while doing nothing to confront the Left.

We could talk about this stuff round and round all day and it would change nothing. But certainly watching from the sidelines it makes for a good spectator sport when these monsters of tolerance eat their own.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 9, 2019, 11:23

Your point is very important. This is why those nice conservatives who choose not to arrest the harassers are simply encouraging more of the same. Meanwhile, the increasing harassment and violence discourages many from opposing the fascists of IngSoc, at least openly. It's like the effect of boycotts (and the reverse effect of "buycotts"). Freedom of speech happens when it's safe to hold dissenting opinions. (In fact, Elizabeth had a bumper sticker to that effect, though I don't recall the exact phrasing.) That increasingly isn't the case in the United States. And the problem so far isn't the Behemoth -- except when places like Portland, Oakland, or Berkeley refuse to enforce the laws to protect dissenters (i.e., conservatives) from political mob violence.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: January 9, 2019, 11:37

what most people do is Quisle (as in Quisling). They stay silent. Their job may be at stake if they speak their mind. We see the value when the Left makes an example of someone (even their own) because it bullies people into silence.

Just a couple of days back, I was speaking to an English friend, who lives in Hongkong, about this subject. He has his own business which brings medical products through testing and on to the market. As a result, he has to work with various universities in both the US and UK.

He said that the restriction of free speech at such places has become significantly worse over the last few years. He understands why many people who work for large corporations or in government bureaucracies are afraid to talk about anything to do with sex, gender, politics, etc. If one says anything which the Snowflakes find disagreeable at a particular moment, one is immediately called a Nazi.

That is why he says that people like us, who are self-employed or just refuse to be cowed, have an obligation to fight back and crush the leftist liars and their ilk. It is no longer good enough to be polite and agree to disagree.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 9, 2019, 15:30

It is no longer good enough to be polite and agree to disagree.

Oh, go shove it you right wing wacko.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 9, 2019, 15:43

Actually, I'm quite willing to "agree to disagree" with leftists who'll do the same -- if there are any. The visible ones have no intention of doing so, preferring to shut down all opposition "by any means necessary". But reciprocating civility is desirable if leftists ever show any, if only to encourage its repetition.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 11, 2019, 09:33

Mike Lee has one of the better responses to Tucker Carlson’s monologue the other day: More Populist, More Conservative.

Although short on specifics and a legislative agenda (at least in regards to the party-politics aspect of this), he does recognize the general “There is something rotten in Denmark” aspect instead of picking nits with Carlson as the elitist National Review talking heads have mostly done (which is ironic since runaway elitism was clearly one of Carlson’s themes),

My take-away was that Carlson was talking outside of The Daily Drama. This automatically meant that many had no idea how to respond to what he was saying but within a tit-for-tat framework, especially with it in mind to protect their own elite status and reasons for not saying long ago what Carlson said. When shamed, people tend to lash out.

Broadly speaking, Carlson was saying that there are concerns that the political parties should have other than protecting the interests of banks and big business, and that strong and good families are the true measure of the health of a society, not just take-home pay.

I don’t believe there would be a single Founding Father who would disagree with any of that. But controversy it did cause as Carlson was marginalized as a “populist” and his broad (perhaps noble) ideas put him in the position of a man in a pillory whom passersby slung with mud.

Partly this was a very uncomfortable and unpopular subject because he was also addressing a moral aspect. Many have made money the measure of all things. We can see how corporations (Apple computer plays footsie with the Chinese Communists, knuckling under to their demands, but makes a big show of not helping the U.S. government in a legitimate investigation) are enormously immoral even as they try to cover themselves with the modern version of the Indulgence with airy words about “sustainability,” etc.

Lee touches on some of the broad areas, but only marginally. No one seems to want to touch the multiple third-rails which include environmental wackoism. If you want affordable housing, we have to marginalize and defeat the environmental extremists. If you want a luxury such as free speech, you have to marginalize and defeat the feminists, homosexualists, and various Marxists.

And if you want strong families, we have to stop demonizing men, giving women special treatment in the name of “equality,” and facilitating government as a surrogate spouse.

Most of all, we must cut back government’s size, reach, and power. It intrudes into far too many areas of life. It is a hole in which vast sums of money are dumped. In broad terms, Carlson’s monologue is consistent with an old theme of Rush Limbaugh’s. Our society has formed itself into the political class vs. everyone else, with various constituency groups playing the role of useful idiot. Blacks, for instance, thinking they are getting theirs even while the actual policies of the political classes are doing them harm.

Lee should be commended for at least trying to think outside of The Daily Drama.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 11, 2019, 09:49

I think good conservatism naturally includes at least a degree of populism, though probably not too much. Elitist rule may be natural for European conservatives, who look back to aristocracy, but not for Americans. Our traditions stem from the Founding Fathers, such as Washington (who ironically wasn't a real father, at least not officially).

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 11, 2019, 10:58

I think good conservatism naturally includes at least a degree of populism, though probably not too much.

What is “populism”? That’s what irked my about David French’s article that dismissed Carlson’s ideas as “populist.” Something being popular amongst the rank-and-file doesn’t make it unworthy any more than something being popular amongst the elitists makes it worthy. Snobbery doesn’t make for good politics. And undefined and fuzzy words such as “populism” tell us little other than that people are hiding behind words.

One very large problem that the Republicans and the chattering conservative press have is that they’ll speak glowingly in broad ideas but are short on specifics. In that regard, Tucker Carlson’s words are as potentially forgettable as those of the regular chattering class of conservative talking heads.

But there are broad descriptions that can describe the mess. And that this is so is no reason to denounce these broad descriptions for lack of specifics. But the Republican Party and the chattering class are top-heavy with broad ideas and short on specifics on implementing those ideas.

Specifics offend people, especially because they almost always (given the vast size and reach of government) threaten to take away somebody’s money or power. And when some specifics are discussed, they become but meaningless words. The chattering class (and those elected by them) has been chattering on forever about getting rid of the Department of Education, for instance. But it’s still there.

We’re being royally screwed over — if only in terms of finances — by the political classes of both parties, including the elitists of industry. To denounce one as a “populist” for pointing this out (as French did) is absurdly short-sighted.

And the one defense of cold, amoral capitalism most relevant in this discussion is missing from the supposed elitist chattering conservative talking heads. And that is that, in the words of Gordon Gecko,

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, greed is good. Greed works, greed is right. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed in all its forms, greed for life, money, love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind

Gecko, of course, was a Romney-like snake. HIs words (if brash) are apt, but he only ever intended to break up Teldar Paper, not save it. To rephrase his dishonest appeal (but which is essentially correct in a very important way): Societies that chase morality as its highest cause tend to become hell. Those whose purpose is industry, to produce something, to earn more today than yesterday, are the places most people want to live in. The role of government is, to a large extent, that of impartial arbitrator and regulator. Throw in a certain amount of “social safety net” and a few privileges for those who actually run industry, and you have an ugly, but workable, balance.

But now we live in an era of Big Government where there are huge hand-outs at both ends of the spectrum, and your normal working-class fellow has to pay for all this. I think Tucker Carlson, however inexactly, was expressing this fact. And that’s also the means by which Donald Trump — otherwise a vulgar ass, but a guy who made promises to this “forgotten” middle class — got elected. It also means if he doesn’t follow through with a wall, he’s toast. And given that we are being invaded from the south, it is right and proper that he use his powers as Commander in Chief to fix it. The chattering conservative class does not agree. But then I have little use for these fellows these days. Chattering pays their bills, but it is of little use otherwise.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 14, 2019, 09:09

Here’s a scathing article about Tim Cook by The Mac Observer.

It’s been apparent for a while now that something has been rotten in Denmark. And when you see John Kheit put many of the pieces together, it seems that Apple isn’t clicking on all cylinders.

Given that Tim Cook is a prominent example of The Good Homosexual, I wonder if he is surrounded by yes-men who are afraid to criticize him because of that. There are people then and now who won’t criticize Obama simply because he is black. Not only is this because he is one of their own, but any criticism is equated with racism. I wonder if any resistance to any bad policies, actions, or ideas of Tim Cook has people sitting on their hands because to criticize him would be “homophobia.”

It’s clear to me he’s the wrong guy to be CEO. He needs to go. Apple is floundering. It will be interesting to watch. And with their stock prices tanking (and many think lower prices are ahead), it’s an opportunity for those with a few bucks to buy low.

Timothy-
Lane
on: January 14, 2019, 09:52

This is the problem with affirmative action selections, evidently even if supposedly selected on merit. It's much harder to fire them than for others. This is why the effect of such laws can actually lead to fewer of them being hired, as long as the number hired isn't too low and there's no proof of racism/sexism/etc.

Pages: First << 26 27 28 [29] 30 31
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.326 seconds.