Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Author Topic: Breaking News
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: Breaking News
on: December 2, 2018, 19:26

Apparently there were also numerous after-shocks, some over 5 on the Richter scale.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: December 6, 2018, 09:02

Some thoughts on the passing of George H.W. Bush

Here’s a guy who expresses some of my sentiments, although my thoughts are not so Jewish or James-Baker-obsessed. I think GHWB discarded some of Reagan’s more successful policies.

However, I’m not president-obsessed or politics-obsessed. I’ve made a concerted effort to distance this site from The Daily Drama of never-ending pointless chattering and posturing. Grievance or victimhood shall not be my religion no matter how entertaining people find it. It’s just a sick religion, in my opinion. It turns people dark and bitter.

I’ve lost most many of my regular contributors when I announced “Please tell me what you, or someone you know, are actually doing to counteract or repel the Communists (in various guises). Don’t just sift through The Daily Drama and use online media as nothing more than a sort of primal scream therapy even if you do sometimes wrap it up in big words.”

I got a lot of crickets chirping, I can tell you. People like to bitch for the sake of bitching. They really love being offended. But it’s too easy to get wrapped up in it. I really do think “social media” is now “anti-social media.” It creates a sick vibe.

That’s not to say that there aren’t a host of outrages and absurdities every day. There are. And I bleed off some of my own drama by cracking wise and pointing out the obvious. If I didn’t, my head would explode.

In regards to George Herbert Walker Bush: We put too damn much emphasis on presidents and too little on running our own lives for ourselves. We need to downsize government influence at all levels starting with downsizing what has become The Imperial Presidency and downsizing our obsession with politics as if it were a religion (which it is, particularly with those on the Left).

Obviously a tremendous jerk and ego like Trump (or Pelosi, or Cuomo, or Gore, or Sanders) is fit for the job of the modern presidency where the occupant is as much an entertainer as he is politician. The human race has never been a race of ladies and gentlemen. Our politicians (from the crazy and racist Maxine Waters to the just plain vulgar — but good-on-the-Supreme-Court-picks — Trump) tend to represent the worst of who we are — the vulgar mob.

That said, personally G.H.W. Bush was, by all accounts, a brave, honest, decent man, far above the scum-troll likes of Obama, Trump, and the Clintons. But never forget that he was first and foremost a career bureaucrat and politician. He fought for his country bravely. And then he entered government and basically became a leach (a necessary one….some government is necessary) on our lives. Take a look at the pay and benefits these guys get (whether a president or some lower-level bureaucrat that you’ve never heard of). They are sucking off the teat of government while you and I work to feed this beast whose appetite for our money is insatiable.

That’s part of the irony of The Daily Drama. While the politicians rope-a-dope us by getting everyone so hot-and-bothered, they are generally the chief beneficiaries of the partisanship.

God rest the soul of George Herbert Walker Bush. But I’m afraid I’ll spare no time obsessing over him.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: December 6, 2018, 09:37

I can only repeat what I wrote elsewhere on ST:

As I wrote to an English friend today, George H.W. Bush was the last in the line of elite WASP politicians who ruled the USA and Great Britain for the last two hundred years. They were not perfect men, but they were generally honorable and tried to govern well. They are now extinct.

Unfortunately, they were so removed, by wealth and experience, from those they ruled that they too often had little understanding of the things which were important to the common man.

More damning is the fact that they failed Americans miserably by not understanding their domestic leftist opponents, assuming the left was interested in doing what is best for America. While I will miss the goodness of the man, I will not miss his naivete’ which seems to have been passed down to his son, who also does not appear to understand the left is out to destroy the country as we know it.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: December 6, 2018, 09:50

I think that's a pretty good summing up, Mr. Kung. I think we'd both agree that the RINOs did a good job defining "decency" and "gentlemanly" as not thinking the worst of one's foes and certainly not actually opposing them in substantial ways. Naive is the key word. Cowardice also applies in many cases.

Timothy-
Lane
on: December 6, 2018, 09:55

The YBRs grew up in an era when both sides differed more in detail than in general goals, and both sides could resume friendships even after vicious election campaigns. But gradually the Demagogues became more virulent as their leftist ideology displaced their liberalism, and the GOP failed to notice this, no doubt out of a form of wishful thinking. And so we finally got Trump, who actually would fight back.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: December 6, 2018, 10:13

Cowardice also applies in many cases.

Absolutely no doubt about it. These types were part of a caste and one simply did not step out of the caste norms if one wanted to survive and advance in the system.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: December 6, 2018, 10:23

The YBRs grew up in an era when both sides differed more in detail than in general goals, and both sides could resume friendships even after vicious election campaigns.

This is one area that I think I’m even more cynical than Mr. Kung. (We’d need a cyn-o-meter to establish that.)

One reason we don’t see a vociferous and substantial opposition to the Left from the Republicans is that Republicans mostly agree with them. Or, especially for RINOs, it’s a “professional courtesy” to not try to undermine the legitimacy of one’s opponent. After all, they are all sucking off the teat of government and they all gain their power and prestige by promising “free stuff” to their constituencies. There is us vs. them. There is a whole lot more that Nancy Pelosi and George Herbert Walker Bush have in common than they do with us.

George H.W. Bush couldn’t even stand by one principle: “Read my lips, no new taxes.” One aspect that I agree that Mr. Kung is ahead in is his awareness that all these bums (some sophisticated and outwardly gentlemanly, some not) are well aware of the hoi polloi. A large number of the people are deserving of the title, “The Great Unwashed.” They play to us disdainfully because they know we are disdainful.

As a people we are becoming more and more vulgar, stupid, and basely-motivated. We demand entertainment, not facts. Our egos and boutique beliefs must always be catered to and ratified. And this is all that’s going on when Republicans throw us some red meat during election time. To them, we are the boobs who will eat down anything. (John McCain made a fabulous living at it.) They will feed us whatever it is they think we will eat in order to gain their proper seat of power — over us. And then they join the Democrats in playing this game of rope-a-dope where they do outward battle, waving the red meat around, but inwardly they’re all getting fairly rich and certainly living the comforts of kings.

Mr. Kung describes an era of patrician-politicians who (I would say) were actually better than us: Burke, Churchill, Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington, Madison, etc. But I don’t believe Trump, for example, is better than I am. I don’t think he is a patrician-politician who, in the words of Mr. Kung, were “generally honorable and tried to govern well.” I don’t even think Ted Cruz matches that. I think he’s a bit too slick and prevaricating for my taste. But…he is likely more honorable than the average, at least.

This is now a class — both sides — who are parasites on humanity. We see this in full force in Europe. The French are (however confused ideologically they remain on how they got to this point) protesting to try to throw off just one little gnat of the horde of parasites buzzing over and around them. (Yes….this hoi polloi brought this upon themselves by entrenching these guys when it was all about getting “free stuff, ridiculously short work weeks, benefits, etc.)

GHWB didn’t oppose any of this stuff. Reagan did. GHWB undermined Reagan and probably always believed he was a boob. GHWB was the soulless, but certainly gentlemanly, bureaucrat of the type who now plagues us. He was better than what we have now. But he was still one of them.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: December 6, 2018, 10:36

although my thoughts are not so Jewish or James-Baker-obsessed.

I believe James Baker drives some Jews crazy as he had the temerity to tell Israel the USA would not give loan guarantees to Israel unless Israel fulfilled a couple of USA demands. One of these demands was a moratorium on building settlements on the West Bank. This was the first time an USA administration had not simply agree to every Israeli monetary request, for some decades.

I recall this episode as I had a discussion about it with a Jewish friend in Hongkong. I can even recall that much of the discussion took place in his apartment building's garage. He was complaining that Bush was no friend of Israel because Bush was demanding the halt of settlements in the West Bank, and that Israeli leaders have talks with Arab leaders.

I told him that in fact it was just the opposite, that Bush was a good friend of Israel, and that friends sometimes had to tell each other hard truths in the hope that they don't make mistakes that come back to haunt them.

My friend had not thought of it that way and took it into consideration. I don't know that I convinced him in the end, but I did get him to think about other possibilities than anti-Semitism and anti-Israel paranoia.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: December 6, 2018, 10:54

This is now a class — both sides — who are parasites on humanity.

I couldn't agree with you more. As I have said before, I saw this coming almost 50 years ago. Reagan was just a bump in the road to perdition which the West has taken.

Anglo-Saxon countries went through a period like no other in history. The arbitrary power of the aristocracy was broken over time. This power was gradually expanded to others and eventually the franchise was given to all men who paid taxes. For whatever reasons, generally honest leaders arose and ruled fairly well. The main points were that 1) they created a reasonably small, efficient and honest civil service but more importantly, 2) they reduced government interference across the board and let people live their lives as they wished. This led to a golden period in human government.

This trend changed drastically; exactly when, I will leave for others to figure out. But I believe we are now on a retrograde path, back to the old days where an aristocracy determines the fate of the rest of us and uses the powers of government to keep us in line. In a word, we are regressing, not progressing.

Timothy-
Lane
on: December 6, 2018, 11:14

At least in the United States, the wheels started to go off in the Reconstruction era. Government corruption and the cost of the War of the Rebellion led to a rebellion by leftist groups such as the Greenback Party, then the Populist Party, and eventually the Progressives (who got a serious foothold in both parties).

There was something of a regression to the pre-left past in the Harding-Coolidge-Mellon era, but by then the population had been sufficiently corrupted that when economic disaster hit, the result was a recourse to the Behemoth. This included a lot of "free stuff" that was initially supposed to be temporary, and also a brilliant demagogue who had no fixed ideology but a lot of emotion.

Eisenhower may have had a chance to roll back the New Deal, but he didn't think this was possible and thus made no effort to do it. Then came the Kennedy-Johnson era, and the Behemoth was firmly in control. Reagan could only do a little paring of the skin. A bunch of Reagans might have done some real damage to the Behemoth, but then came Bush (who was no Reagan), and then Slick Willie.

Now, every Demagogue strengthens the Behemoth further, and each Republican either does nothing or pares it back a tiny bit. Trump has done that, but has no intention of confronting the Behemoth. And one can't entirely blame him for this because it probably isn't possible. America is on a glide path downward. The Demagogues will speed up the decline, but the GOP will never do more than stretch the decline out. That makes them better than the Demagogues, but mostly on cultural issues such as gun control and abortion (and, until Anthony Kennedy struck, libertinism in general).

Pages: First << 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.273 seconds.