Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: Breaking News
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Breaking News
on: October 30, 2018, 11:21

I think it would have been better to say it should be illegal. I have certainly read of people with dual citizenships -- in fact, I think Steve Lancaster is one of them (the other being Israeli). I'm surprised that American Samoans have a different status (Swains Island is considered part of American Samoa due to its geographical proximity, though its population isn't Samoan) from citizens of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Even citizens of the Northern Marianas are resident citizens of the US.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: October 30, 2018, 11:24

I think it would have been better to say it should be illegal.

I agree with that.

I believe the question of dual-nationality is very serious. I convinced that this divides loyalties and retards the growth of immigrants' attachment to the U.S.A.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: October 31, 2018, 14:13

Looks like my German friend gave me good advice as to the likelihood of Friedrich Merz becoming the next leader of the CSU.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/31/merkel-rival-friedrich-merz-emerges-surprise-early-frontrunner/

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 6, 2018, 18:35

The first of the seriously contested Senate races have been called. The Demagogues held on in New Jersey and West Virginia (not really a surprise in either state), and Marsha Blackburn easily held off Phil Bredesen in Tennessee. The first flip of the night is Mike Braun defeating Joe Donnelly in Indiana -- and by a lot more than anticipated. So far the Demagogues have picked up one governorship (Illinois, definitely no surprise).

Interestingly, with 93% or so of precincts reporting, the GOP leads in the two key Florida statewide races (De Santis by about 1% over Gollum, Scott by about 0.8% over Nelson).

So far the Demagogues have picked up 2 House seats (VA 10, FL 27), but they have a lot of narrow seats in GOP seats, and FNC just projected that they will win the House.

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 6, 2018, 19:35

The Demagogues picked up the KS governorship, but the GOP picked up ND as expected, and Cruz has held on (not by a large margin) in TX. The Mississippi special election for the Senate will have a run-off in a few weeks between the incumbent and Mike Espy.

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 6, 2018, 20:13

De Santis has been called over Gollum, and that probably means Scott will beat Nelson even if it hasn't been called by FNC. Others have. Hawley has just been projected over Claire McRoadkill (and again it isn't close). Kemp has a solid lead in the Georgia governor's race, but with a lot of Fulton County (Atlanta) out. Michael DeWine, in an upset (even if no one admits it now), has held the Ohio governorship.

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 6, 2018, 22:25

So far, it appears that the Demagogues have picked up 5 GOP governorships (Maine, Michigan, Illinois, Kansas, and New Mexico). Wisconsin is extremely tight, with Walker finally pulling barely ahead. Since the projections I saw were 6-10 Demagogue gains, this isn't too bad, particularly with the GOP currently leading in Connecticut. No numbers are in yet from Nevada (because some polling places had long lines and nothing will be reported until everyone is voted) and Alaska (which is a possible pickup). The GOP held all its southern governorships if Kemp (ahead 51-48 with 90% counted) wins, as well as holding Arizona, Idaho, and Wyoming in the mountain states (and possibly Nevada) and Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio, and South Dakota in the midwest, and all their northeastern (mostly moderate) governorships aside from Maine.

Nevada returns just started to come in, with Heller and Laxalt taking early leads. Assuming this includes early votes and absentee ballots, that's good news.

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 7, 2018, 08:06

The Demagogues swept Nevada, which (like Virginia) is beginning to look like a very bluish purple state. But at least it was close in both races. McSally holds a very narrow lead in Arizona, and Tester narrowly trails in Montana. Kemp has held a narrow majority in Georgia so far. It seems that the GOP will end with 55 Senate seats and 27 governorships, but several races haven't been called yet (AZ, MT, GA, AK) or at least have been conceded (WI, FL Senate). The GOP is ahead in all but Wisconsin, so it appears they (and we) dodged a bullet yesterday.

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 7, 2018, 15:36

Well, it appears that Tester finally pulled ahead in the end. Nelson is pursuing a recount in Florida, though there's virtually no chance of switching the result. McSally remains barely ahead in Arizona, but there are still votes out (early ballots that came in later than most). In a few more days we should know, but it seems probable that she will win. If so, and if Cindy Hyde-White wins the Mississippi run-off, the final Senate margin will be 54-46, providing a cushion for judicial confirmations and for the 2020 elections.

Timothy-
Lane
on: November 8, 2018, 11:24

There is further news on the results. One point that has been made is that despite the Demagogue victories, no one in the GOP has rioted or claimed the results were false or unfair in any general way. On the other hand, the Obamathug group Smash Racism in DC went after Tucker Carlson, threatening his family in a "demonstration" outside his house that included the chant "No USA at all!" Someone should demand that the Demagogues denounce this and even take action against them (they control the DC government, after all).

Despite all the Demagogue gains, their state legislative gains were modest outside of New Hampshire, where they won back both houses (though Chris Sununu kept the governorship). They picked up the Minnesota Senate but not the House, leaving it the only divided legislature in the country. They won the Colorado Senate (which the GOP held by a single vote) and the New York Senate (where the GOP was already a minority, but running it in an alliance with a few Demagogues) as well as the Maine Senate. This gives the Demagogues total control now in 3 more states (CO, ME, and NY).

But all those rust belt chambers remained Republican even after they lost so many gubernatorial races. And in Ohio they did very well -- holding a governorship they were expected to lose as well as the other state offices and the state legislature. They held all 3 House seats targeted by the Demagogues, and came far closer to beating Sherrod Brown in the Senate than any poll had suggested (something I noticed on Election Night, in fact). Of course, one can lose seats and still hold a chamber (they last 2 State Senate and 12 State House seats in Texas, but their control of both houses remains solid). But they control almost every chamber in the Midwest (the Demagogues have IL and MN is split) and the South (they barely hold both VA houses, which weren't up this year). They have 5 of 8 legislatures in the Rocky Mountains plus Alaska. And Pennsylvania, where the legislature is still under its GOP gerrymander. So overall, the GOP controls 31 legislatures (including, unofficially, the non-partisan unicameral one in Nebraska) and the Demagogues 18.

Pages: First << 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.308 seconds.