Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: The Battle of the Coral Sea, May 7-8, 1942
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: The Battle of the Coral Sea, May 7-8, 1942
on: May 10, 2017, 20:00

Of course, there is the problem that we only have access to movies on our hotel cable, mainly TCM. Nor do we have ready access to my reference books on subjects such as the James Bond movies. So anything I can contribute will hae to come from memory.

Incidentally, since this posting started as a straight history post, I will note some interesting anniversaries. Jefferson Davis was captured by Union troops in Georgia on May 10, 1865. Two days later, the last land engagement of the war (Palmito Ranch near Brownsville, Texas) would begin. Ironically, the Confederates won, such as it was. (The last sea engagement would be the capture of a dozen Yankee whaling ships in the Bering Sea by the Shenandoah on June 27, 1865). Also, May 10, 1940 was the beginning of the German invasion of Belgium, France, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: May 11, 2017, 08:27

I bought an old VHS box set of Bond films at a garage sale a long time ago, so I'm set to view "From Russia With Love." What you could do is read along with us. I've never read a Bond book. Don't know if you have either.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 11, 2017, 10:05

I've read all the Bond books and stories by Fleming, except The Spy Who Loved Me, as well as many about him, Fleming, the books, the movies, etc. Perhaps the main difference between the book and movie of From Russia With Love is that the enemy in the book is Smersh ("Death to Spies", an actual Soviet counterintelligence organization of that era), not SPECTRE. But Rosa Klebb and Red Grant were the villains in both.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: May 11, 2017, 14:20

I was wondering what the differences might be between book and movie. I've got my copy of "From Russia With Love" all warmed up. When I find some time I'll give it a view and a quick review.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.114 seconds.