Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 9 10 11 [12]
Author Topic: Turner Classic Movies
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Turner Classic Movies
on: March 16, 2019, 08:11

Today they have the classic Village of the Damned, which we've discussed here before, at 1:45. Later they have the Petula Clark-Fred Astaire movie Finian's Rainbow at 5:15. This has its moments, such as Petula Clark (who grew up with a Welsh background) doing an Irish accent. (I wouldn't bet against her getting it right.) Since MeTV has The Wild, Wild West at 6:00, and with a fun episode ("The Night of the Gruesome Games"), I might watch the beginning, but probably no more.

Later they do a sequence of Westerns with different stars: Broken Arrow (James Stewart) at 8, Fort Apache at 9:45, and High Sierra (Humphrey Bogart) at midnight. All times EDT, of course.

For that matter, they have a thirties Perry Mason movie, The Case of the Lucky Legs, on now, but it's about half over. I'll bet the same story was eventually made into one of the TV episodes.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 17, 2019, 12:18

I'm not sure I've seen "Broken Arrow." But I do believe I've got a DVD of it around in the archives.

TCM continues with a splendid lineup of movies.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 18, 2019, 10:39

I always liked Jeff Chandler as Cochise.

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 23, 2019, 11:42

TCM had The Sea Hawk on a short while ago. I had seen Captain Blood (and many other Errol Flynn movies), but not this. Apparently Captain Thorpe was more or less based on Francis Drake, except the Spanish never caught Drake. He did (successfully) raid the Spanish gold route through Nombre de Dios in Panama. It does a fairly good job of reflecting Elizabeth's ambiguous attitude toward her privateers.

In reality, the British decision to build a large fleet was made much earlier than 1585, and in fact followed a suggestion by the consort of Queen Mary Tudor aka Bloody Mary. And who was this clever fellow? We know him best as King Philip II of Spain, who later had the opportunity to judge how wise his advice had been.

Pages: First << 9 10 11 [12]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.146 seconds.