Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: BritBox
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: BritBox
on: May 29, 2018, 15:25

I’m watching the 1975 version of “The Stepford Wives” right now. Forgot that it had Tina Louise in it. Everyone in Stepford appears to drive a Ford Grand Torino wood-paneled wagon. That’s one humongous chunk of metal. Two chicks get in an accident in the grocery store parking lot…despite the fact that one of the box boys was directing traffic. One assumes they would need someone there full time. I’m sure you’ve all seen jokes like this.

I had always thought this was a made-for-TV movie. But it’s widescreen. It has that 70’s made-for-TV look. I’m so glad we evolved out of those wide collars.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 29, 2018, 16:49

That was a nice joke, and I can certainly see the connection. I recall seeing the movie preview (decent, but the best movie preview I ever saw has to have been the one for Man's Favorite Sport, which made clear the point of the title without ever explicitly saying it -- obvious even to a kid like me), and then the movie itself. Remember that the women were robots, so they shouldn't have gotten into an accident unless they were programmed for bad driving. Was that the one in which the "injured" one was taken to the Men's Club rather than the hospital?

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: May 29, 2018, 21:56

I finished the 1975 version of “The Stepford Wives.” One reason I thought this was a TV-movie is because it has the low-budget look of one. And at 115 minutes it’s like a Twilight Zone episode that has run on too long.

But the setup — the first hour or so — is pretty good as you watch “normal” Katharine Ross and Paula Prentiss encounter the Good Housekeeping Seal girls and slowly begin to wonder if something is up. But unlike, say, the original Westworld, you don’t get much deeper into the sci-fi aspects of it. The final hour is rather dull as it really does offer very little new or interesting. It’s just blah blah blah. Talk talk talk.

The best moment in it was when Ross and Prentiss were going around the Stepford neighborhood trying to recruit wives to join their feminist organization. One of the wives (I think it was my favorite…Carol Van Sant played by Nanette Newman) isn’t buying what Prentiss and Ross are selling and does a very good job explaining that she is happy doing just what she is doing. She’s so genuine and convincing that Prentiss and Ross wonder if they aren’t the weird ones themselves.

Tina Louise is great in this and looks wonderful. I’ve never seen her look or act better. Her role isn’t huge but she is effective. All of the men in the film are pretty much interchangeable and forgettable, including Patrick O’Neal as the ring leader. The plot is just too thin for the men to have much to do.

But Prentiss and Louise, in particular, add some sparkle to the film. Ross is okay as the main wife getting roped into all this, but I wish (as the IMDB trivia notes) that Diane Keaton hadn’t turned down the role. I think she would have brought more to it although Ross was more than fine.

From what I’ve read, the 2004 remake is a dog. But this is a concept (based on a book…which is apparently a dark comedy) still waiting to be filmed well. This simple-minded script would have worked better in about about 90 minutes or slightly less. A longer runtime is just begging to add some intricacies to it. Maybe all of the men didn’t like the tame housewife. Maybe others liked something else.

But I guess the “social” message is that rich white men want beautiful, compliant homemaking babes. The funny thing is, from reading his biography, Frank Sinatra had just that in his first wife but chased after the problematic and definitely non-Stepford Ava Gardner. Yes, I get the feminist message in this movie. But it’s wrapped up in a very simplistic story.

Timothy-
Lane
on: May 29, 2018, 22:14

Was Tina Louise the one who played Charmaine Wimperis? Sounds like it from the description, and those 3 (and I guess Carol Van Sant) are the main female characters. (In Phyllis Ann Karr's parody sequel, "The Steptoe Husbands", she was Charming Whimpering, as I recall. The most appropriate parody name she came up with was Wally Everhard.)

Ira Levin is/was generally leftist, and certainly seemed to write a lot about men victimizing women (as in both A Kiss Before Dying and Deathtrap, though both are very fine works.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: May 29, 2018, 22:16

She was indeed Charmaine. Please squeeze the Charmaine.

Pages: First << 6 7 8 [9]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.434 seconds.