Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Bad Sci-Fi
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Re: Bad Sci-Fi
on: September 29, 2018, 10:52

Certain appendages of the Daleks do resemble plumbing equipment.

I started going through the Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes in order. The first, "Robot," is pretty bad, even for Doctor Who. But watching Baker take up the role makes it interesting. The next, "The Ark in Space," is the one that made prodigious use of spray-painted bubble wrap for creature effects. This was a better episode, although the ending was a complete box-up. Now I remember just how bad an actress Elisabeth Sladen was in these. But she had a simple, Mary-Ann-ish, everyday girl sort of charm. She did get better the season wore on.

Then came "The Sontaran Experiment." The challenge, I guess, was whether one could film a Doctor Who episode for less than a lunch at the deli. The answer is "pretty close."

The first "serious" Doctor Who story is the fourth (which I haven't started yet): "Genesis of the Daleks." Although like most things Doctor Who, it drags on too long. I remember this being at least a pretty good piece of low-budget TV sci-fi for the time.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: October 17, 2018, 10:34

Daleks?

Robotic Security Forces On Patrol In NYC Prompt Privacy Concerns For Some

Timothy-
Lane
on: October 17, 2018, 11:09

I'll bet the police unions don't like the idea, since this seems to replace the cop on the beat. Whether it's as good is another matter, and probably irrelevant to those who only look at cost and ignore results. And a robot probably will never refuse to do its job for fear of being denounced for police brutality.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: October 17, 2018, 21:43

One commenter wrote:

You can defeat them with a garbage bag.

Hey, maybe it will help them with those no-go zones. Something tells me that this immediate experiment will fail utterly but we’re seeing the coming thing nevertheless.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.159 seconds.