Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nature Photography
Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
Post Nature Photography
on: January 27, 2019, 15:13

Here’s a photo I shot little wile ago, December 30, 2:31 pm.

Sun Forest. Having recently watched (again) the Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended version), this looks like the type of forest where you might find the forest elves.

Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: Nature Photography
on: January 27, 2019, 16:06

What are the trees, Douglas firs? They seem tall and short of low branches. Of course, one of the branches of wood-elves lived in Mirkwood, so you'd want to be careful there -- and even more so if you visited Fangorn. Lothlorien would be a lot better if they let you in.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: January 27, 2019, 16:07

That's a great shot. You can understand why our ancestors found forests so mysterious and scary.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 27, 2019, 19:59

What are the trees, Douglas firs?

Yes, Timothy. Almost 100% Douglas firs, a sure sign of a tree farm. There are lots of place where there are forests with low branches. I’m not sure why this particular patch of Douglas firs is devoid of that, especially since this is a fairly protected stand of trees (or seems so) with small mountains enclosing them on two sides.

I know some great places where there are stands of large Douglas firs exposed on the top of a hill or small mountain….particularly exposed because the rest of the trees have been harvested. The practice is to leave some big one and let them reseed themselves.

Exposed like this, the wind really takes a toll on their branches. You can tell they become quite sculpted.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: January 27, 2019, 20:07

You can understand why our ancestors found forests so mysterious and scary.

There is a majesty to the forest that is there each time I visit. It is strange to be surrounded by life and yet the feeling is one of isolation. But there are birds and bugs that provide an animating background chorus.

The forest itself is still, majestic, and even cold. It’s made of tall, upright, multiplied sameness. But there is a latent benevolence to it. Most creatures find a degree of protection here.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 11, 2019, 15:07

12 inches of snow so far. Snow Trees.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 11, 2019, 15:11

Was that done using color or black-and-white film? It looks like the latter, but I wouldn't think anyone would use it today. With that much snow, you wouldn't see the different colors beneath it.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 11, 2019, 19:33

There's a "noir" setting on my iPhone's camera app. The color balance shooting a snow scene comes out way too blue. So I was looking for the built-in filters for a slightly warm one. That helped a little, but still looked wrong. And then I shot a couple with the noir filter which basically turns it black and white. There may be a little color value left in it but not much.

Here's a little bit of Photoshop work. I added some color back into it and used the cutout filter:

Snow Trees (cutout filter)

It's a little different, but kind of fun to try.

Timothy-
Lane
on: February 11, 2019, 20:27

I see. There's a difference in the gray area below the trees. Which way is actually more accurate?

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: February 12, 2019, 16:21

Nothing was done special to the gray area below the trees. That second photo was simply rant through a pre-canned effect in Photoshop. You sort of get what you get.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.177 seconds.