Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >> Last
Author Topic: "Noble House" Mini-Series Review
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: "Noble House" Mini-Series Review
on: March 19, 2019, 11:39

We’ll see how that works out. Dunross has spies or informants enough that he’s aware that something is going on.

As with most things in Asia, one must go several levels beneath the surface to try and figure out what is going on. Wheels within wheels.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 19, 2019, 11:39

They probably are, but are smart enough not to show it.

LOL. Funny because it's probably true.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 19, 2019, 11:42

As an old Jewish friend once said, "the Jews and Chinese are probably the most culturally arrogant peoples in the world."

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 20, 2019, 10:48

I think the soundtrack of “Noble House” got upgraded. It’s gotten better as it's gone along.

I finished the first of the four parts and just started the second. Lots of spoilers here but I’m going to do this stream-of-consciousness.

I find Ben Masters as Linc Bartlett to be a bit of a stiff. Deoborah Raffin as Casey Tcholok (his subordinate) is at least a little bit better. And nice on the eyes. But the best eye-candy of all is Julia Nickson as Orlanda Ramos. She wore a stunning plunging neckline outfit at one of Ian Dunross’ parties. This is a very poor quality picture but it’s the dress.

Cato’s son has completely betrayed his family. Cato was the holder of one of the coins. The son knew where it was and retrieved it. Coincidentally, he was kidnapped by a group of Chinese men just as he was retrieving the coin. They know nothing about the value of the coin but are ransoming the son for money. It’s unclear who they are working for but in this web of competitive contempt that everyone seems to have for everyone, it’s assumed that they are.

But one of the kidnappers clobbers the son with a shovel on the head a little hard. He looks to have killed him. I’m not sorry to see him go although, again, it’s not clear that he’s dead. But the kidnappers did find the coin but don’t consider it of any value.

Pierce Brosnan’s hair is still looking remarkable coiffed. I haven’t warmed to his character if only because (aside from the hair), he’s giving little indication that the is a Tai-Pan. His office hardly exudes power. He walks around with no security or an entourage. His suit and tie say anything but unique power and prestige (although it might say "ice cream man"). And when people call him Tai-Pan, it’s as if they are uttering an old school nickname rather than a rare title of honor. It just seems phony. Imagine Brando in this role. Woe. He would gave gravatas.

I’m sure the book is much better.

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 20, 2019, 11:45

I've read that in his later years, Meyer Lansky went about without guards, saying it was the job of the police to protect people. Sometimes this sort of austerity can be a sign of really high status -- you're high enough that you don't have to show it off. Of course, Lansky also suffered from unfortunate investments, so it may be that by then he couldn't afford guards. Finding out the truth about any gangster can be difficult.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 20, 2019, 12:20

I found both Ben Masters and Pierce Brosnan somewhat stiff. It is a bit annoying as they are the two main characters, but they were not disastrous. I am with you 100% that Julia Nickson is the eye-candy of the series. She was pretty popular at the time and since she is a Eurasian lady from Singapore, I am a bit biased in her favor.

He walks around with no security or an entourage.

This was not unusual in Hongkong. The chairman of Hongkong Bank would walk around without security. I do not recall a Kwei-Low (foreign devil, i.e. Westerner) ever being kidnapped, and kidnapping is and was a common Chinese occurrence. It was more big Chinese businessmen or their children who were kidnapped. I believe the local criminal gangs (Triads) avoided crimes against Westerners for a couple of reasons. 1) The Brits ruled the place and controlled all the upper levels of the police force. I am sure they would have given any and all Triads hell if a well known Westerner were kidnapped. The pressure would have been put on all known gangs, and this would have hurt their profits. Thus the gangs not involved in the kidnapping would have been out for the blood of those involved. 2) It is a well known fact that Westerners are somewhat dense and don't know the rules of the game, much less how to play it. They might even refuse to pay the ransom and call in the police. Any sensible Chinese criminal knows this and is smart enough to avoid dealing with such unpredictable people.

The book is better. Like all of Clavell's Asia books, except "King Rat", Noble House is long. I recall it is well over 1,000 pages. Thus it goes into much more detail and has more side stories than can be shown in a movie.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 20, 2019, 12:37

One of the problems with this series is that it’s a lot of “stand up and talk about things.” It’s not particularly compelling in that regard. When John Rhys-Davies got his brake lines cut, that was a welcome relief to the chatter.

But then this is a TV movie and should be judge accordingly. But it’s falling a little short at present of being anywhere near compelling. But I’ll hang around a bit longer.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 20, 2019, 12:46

But it’s falling a little short at present of being anywhere near compelling

The book is basically about business and winning in the arena of money, thus there is not a lot of physical action. Most of the action, that there is, comes in the last episode. Four-fingered Wu does provide a little entertainment in this regard during episode III.

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 20, 2019, 13:08

There are some notably good TV movies. Two I remember from decades ago: Crowhaven Farm is a spooky movie clearly inspired by Rosemary's Baby but its own movie. (The plot synopsis in IMDB is a bit inaccurate, since Meg Carey was not killed by the pressing with stones, but lived long and probably prospered. She gave up the names of those who worked with "the evil one" to get her pregnant despite being barren -- just as her descendant would give up her husband under the same circumstances.)

And Rehearsal for Murder features Robert Preston as a playwright seeking to exorcise his fiancée's death a year earlier. He decides to re-enact the murder (which the police considered suicide) and brings in various friends who were involved with the play his fiancée had starred in once. (Negative reviews had depressed her badly.) The ending is very well worked out. (The actors playing his friends include Patrick Macnee and Jeff Goldblum.)

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: March 20, 2019, 13:37

Well, the action did tick up quite a bit when they had that boat fire. The truly Chinese fire drill in the kitchen, as every action they took made things worse, was hilarious.

I think they blew half the budget on the fire. It actually looked pretty good. The most amazing thing though wasn’t the fireballs or explosions. It was the fact that even though she had dived into the water and was being pulled up onto a life raft, Julia Nickson’s very low-plunging dress still stayed in place and hid all. Amazing.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.309 seconds.