Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: The Second World Wars
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: The Second World Wars
on: November 16, 2018, 21:45

Hanson doesn't hide any of this. It's the main reason that I assigned some of the blame to Stalin. I seem to recall reading in Shirer a comment by one of the Poles, something to the effect of with Germany they would lose their body, but with Stalin they would lose their soul. That's a lose-lose situation. (Of course, there are worse cases. I once commented that a Jew in Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe had a choice of being murdered by Germans, murdered by Poles, murdered by Ukrainians, or murdered by Lithuanians.)

Churchill provided an entire corps of Polish troops (among other things, they finally took Monte Cassino, and a Polish airborne brigade was dropped to try to rescue the British at Arnhem). But in the end there was nothing he could do, and nothing FDR could do (or would do -- "If I give Stalin everything he wants and don't ask for anything in return, noblesse oblige, he won't try to annex anything and will work with me for a world of democracy and peace"), to save Poland -- or Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, or Yugoslavia. Czechoslovakia might have been saved if Patton had been allowed to continue to Prague, which the Soviets didn't take until the war was over, but FDR saw no reason for it. (Hanson points out this out to some extent.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.139 seconds.