Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: The Making of the Atomic Bomb
Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
Post Re: The Making of the Atomic Bomb
on: March 11, 2018, 19:33

No doubt MacArthur was a prima donna. But he had the lowest casualty numbers of any Allied theater commander of the war. This was by design. Early on, he decided to jump over Japanese strong points and let them wither without further supplies.

He was appalled at the way the Navy ran their island-hopping campaign and the way they burned through marines. I have always had to agree with him.

When asked after the war who they thought the best American general; more than one German general/Field Marshal immediately said MacArthur. If I recall correctly, von Ruendstedt thought this.

It was his father who won the Congressional Medal of Honor in the War Between the States. His father was also the Governor-General of the Philippines. I believe Douglas spent time there with him. It should be remembered that MacArthur was a contemporary of Churchill and was born on some frontier fort in the 1870's. I think in New Mexico. He had retired from the US Army and was working for the Philippine Government to try and help develop a military force somewhat along the line of a national constabulary, as I recall.

No doubt Truman was correct to relieve him of command in Korea as MacArthur was insubordinate.

MacArthur was very popular among the Japanese when he was the Supremo there after the war. He made a big show of his movements in Tokyo with motorcycle lights and sirens.

Later when there were rumors that he was going to run for the U.S. presidency many Japanese rooted for him. There is the old joke that one saw lots of signs in Japan, "Praying for General MacArthur's Erection." I trust the reader gets it.

Americans were often less thrilled with his ways. For example, among some of the enlisted men he was called, "Dugout Doug" supposedly because he was a coward. This is nonsense. In no place have I ever read anything even hinting that he was a coward. In fact, he was often reckless in battle and one place I read that a shrink wondered if he was subconsciously tempting death.

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 11, 2018, 21:04

"Dugout Doug" was his nickname on Bataan, and there was a song about him, with several verses ending with a reference to "his troops are starving on." MacArthur made a serious error by staying on Corregidor and not going to visit the forces on Bataan, but it wasn't a lack of courage. He deliberately exposed himself when the Japanese bombed Corregidor (perhaps that shrink had a point). But of course his troops on Bataan knew nothing of this -- or that all that good food in the rear was Navy food, and they weren't sharing with anyone.

I believe his relative loss figures were a lot of why MacArthur claimed the losses invading Japan would be lighter (if he commanded, of course) than everyone expected.

A lot of people tend to think that the Chinese and Japanese confuse the letters "l" and "r". In reality, China doesn't use "r" (though the Manchus presumably do, since one of their provinces used to be called Kirin, though in Pinyin now it's Jilin) and Japanese doesn't use "l". I encountered this in a visiting Japanese teacher in one of my courses at Purdue, on simulation. (He was giving a basic intro to a language used for the purpose.) I'm sure you have plenty of personal experience of this.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 12, 2018, 12:10

I'm sure you have plenty of personal experience of this.

I cannot think of any "l" sound in the Japanese language nor any hard "r". My last name use to give them fits.

Timothy-
Lane
on: March 12, 2018, 13:08

Well, there are Japanese words that begin with "r", such as "ryu" (dragon) -- seen in the Ryukyu islands as well as such aircraft carrier names as Ryujo and Ryuho (and probably also Hiryu and Soryu. The Japanese name for Guadalcanal is Gadarukanaru, in which each "l" is replaced by "ru". And what was that last name?

Timothy-
Lane

Well, there are Japanese words that begin with "r", such as "ryu" (dragon) -- seen in the Ryukyu islands as well as such aircraft carrier names as Ryujo and Ryuho (and probably also Hiryu and Soryu. The Japanese name for Guadalcanal is Gadarukanaru, in which each "l" is replaced by "ru". And what was that last name?

Timothy-
Lane

Well, there are Japanese words that begin with "r", such as "ryu" (dragon) -- seen in the Ryukyu islands as well as such aircraft carrier names as Ryujo and Ryuho (and probably also Hiryu and Soryu). There's also the battleship Yamashiro). The Japanese name for Guadalcanal is Gadarukanaru, in which each "l" is replaced by "ru". And what was that last name?

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: March 12, 2018, 13:45

Well, there are Japanese words that begin with "r", such as "ryu"

True enough, but I never heard anyone in Japan pronounce them with a hard "r". I don't know how to give an example over the internet. That's why the difference between l and r can be difficult for some Asians.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.199 seconds.