Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: The Lost City of the Monkey God
Timothy-
Lane
Post Re: The Lost City of the Monkey God
on: July 7, 2018, 11:14

You might want to try Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel sometime. Most interesting. In his introduction he speculates that Papuans might even be smarter than Europeans, and why this could be so. Of course, that logic also allows that Europeans could be smarter than Africans, East Asians could be smarter than Europeans, and Jews could be smarter than anyone else. I don't know if Diamond ever confronted those possibilities, especially the ultra-politically incorrect first one. I also don't recall his ever considering that one reason the Old World brought its diseases to the New World rather than vice versa is that Europe had ocean-going ships and the Amerinds didn't.

Of course, the reason the Spanish didn't interact peacefully with the Amerinds is simple: you may get a bit more wealth that way, but not as much as you can hope to get by looting. And you can't get power over a larger area and population, either. That's probably the most important reason.

I had thought it was the Aztecs, not the Incas, who had wheeled toys. In any case, one can wonder if the Incas would ever have developed the potter's wheel or the spinning wheel.

Kung Fu Zu
Kung Fu Zu
on: July 7, 2018, 19:14

It seems to me, Mr. Kung, the Spanish had the mindset of looters while the British were franchisers.

The overseas British Empire basically started on the one hand with people looking for new empty land to settle and on the other with traders looking for new trading opportunities. The Spanish started with conquistadors looking for gold and priests looking to save souls.

Speaking of Manila, I believe it is in this current book that the author notes (I forget the reason) that the Philippines have about 100% purged themselves of Spanish influence.

I am not sure this is correct as the first time I visited the Philippines was in the early 1980's and I have visited it since then maybe ten times. American influence has been strong for at least 70-80 years, probably longer. But the Philippines, except for some regions in the south, is very Catholic and that came from the Spanish. Many Filipinos also have Spanish names. My experience is in and around Metro-Manila so I cannot speak with much authority on the rest of the country, but I do know people who live on other islands like Cebu or Negros.

Timothy-
Lane
on: July 7, 2018, 20:04

One might also note the use of Filipino/Filipina to refer to natives of the island, which comes from the Spanish. No doubt there are other Spanish survivals.

Some of those priests were good people -- opponents of slavery, for example. But too many took their cues from the likes of Torquemada.

Brad-
Nelson
Administrator
Brad Nelson
on: July 7, 2018, 21:10

You might want to try Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel sometime.

Thanks. And that book was mentioned (and referenced) one time in “The Lost City of the Monkey God.”

There’s no doubt that the New World was technologically less advanced. Maybe I need to read that book to find out why.

And you are right that it was Aztecs who had wheeled toys. Or maybe it was a burial item.

Surely political/religious institutions and beliefs can hamper technological progress. What leader wants his people to innovate and be free of the need for him?

Timothy-
Lane
on: July 7, 2018, 21:26

But somehow the autocrats of Europe did allow innovation and progress. Maybe they somehow figured out that this would lead to a stronger economy, which would then lead to more tax receipts. But, again, note that the Aztecs never came up with the idea of using wheeled tools.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.153 seconds.