by Brad Nelson 7/24/14
The insurance business must be good. This is one big-ass flagpole. A great promotional idea and — who knows? — maybe even some of these guys didn’t vote for Obama…the man who can’t be bothered to wear a flag pin on his lapel.
Forgive me for being slightly cynical.
But this is a great project and a good video. Hat tip to Big Al.
• 400-foot flagpole weighs approximately 420,000 pounds
• There are two versions of the 60- by 120-foot flag:
– 220 pound flag is flown during normal conditions
– 350 pound flag is flown during harsher weather
• Each star is 3 feet high and each stripe is 4 1/2 feet wide
• 680 cubic yards of concrete used in foundation
• Over 500 gallons of paint cover the pole
• 11-foot diameter at base tapers to 5 1/2-foot diameter at top
• Three pendulum-style tuned mass dampers reduce movement and vibration
• Designed to withstand a low temperature of -42°F
Have a blog post you want to share? Click here. • (1525 views)